Just realised how long i have had diabetes T1

Tracey69

HI Everyone,
My daughter asked me what the date was today and i realised i have been a T1 diabetic 37 years.
I know there are people out there that have been diabetic longer, but it just dawned on me that this week is 37 yrs gone by so quickly.
Take care everyone.
Tracey

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Does make you wonder where the years go, 37 years is a hell of a long time with diabetes!

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Tracey69 said:
HI Everyone,
My daughter asked me what the date was today and i realised i have been a T1 diabetic 37 years.
I know there are people out there that have been diabetic longer, but it just dawned on me that this week is 37 yrs gone by so quickly.
Take care everyone.
Tracey

Happy diaversary Tracey!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Time "flies" and life is too short ...
Well done to reach this , and yep the years accumalate too quick - scary isnt it?
Anna.

pavmas

Hi Tracy
can I ask a question.
when you got type one 1n 1975 were you the only person in your street town with diabetes, its my understanding that diabetes was so rare you might have not even have saw a diabetic doctor as the condition was seen as an old mans illness.

Can you tell us a bit what it was like and why do you think there has been an explosion in diabetes.
cheers
Joe

A

Anonymous

i have had it 37 yrs in november is well.still remember the orange test tube of testing wee and my mum having to boil them old metal syringes,

happy days.. :|

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
pump994 said:
i have had it 37 yrs in november is well.still remember the orange test tube of testing wee and my mum having to boil them old metal syringes,

happy days.. :|

Mmmmm....memories but not good ones!!!

It's hard to believe now with modern bg meters that the Clinitest Kit was all we had.

Tracey69

Hi Joe
I had mumps previous to them diagnosis. I did see a diabetic consultant at the north middlesex hospital near Tottenham.
I can;t remember of any others having diabetes and until 6 months ago i was the only diabeteic in the family.
I was trained to inject by using an orange. My father who has now passed away had a nervous break down when i became diabetic as he couldn't cope, but he was an alcoholic.
My mother did but didn't like it.
I was placed in a home for a year for diabetic children when i was 10 yrs old as i had problems when my parents divorded.
Things have changed so much since i was diagnosed. The one thing that bothers me about diabetes, is how many children are gettting it at young ages. I know we don't know all the family histories but it's not easy explaining that you can't have the same as your friends.
My cousin was diagnosed six months ago, and i find it quite difficult when i offer advice as it seems to fall on death ears, but this bothers me as i have some complications. I have lost the sight in my left eye and my peripheral sight in right eye so i had my licience revoked 3 yrs ago, i have Neuropathy and no lining to my kidneys, so i am hoping she would take a little notice.
Take care
Tracey