Just realized my LCHF diet is actually "Lacto Paleo". Do I have to grow my sideburns now?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never really paid a lot of attention to most diets and their names, like Atkins or Paleo and so on, and to be honest I wasn't even entirely sure of what exactly was "in" and "out" with these diets.

Then just a few days ago I was watching a show on TV that was explaining the "Paleo" diet, and I realized that it's pretty much identical to what I'm already eating, with the one exception that I don't exclude dairy. So I decided I was "Lacto Paleo" and surprise surprise, and when I googled it I found that really is "a thing". Anyway, just thought it interesting that LCHF, at least in some forms, does overlap pretty neatly with Paleo.

Here I was thinking that I just followed a boring "medical" diet to my control diabetes, then suddenly I realize that for the first time in my life I'm actually following a "trendy" diet. Just wondering if I need to grow my sideburns and update my wardrobe and sunglasses now? :cool:

Reactions: 21 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cringe a bit at Paleo and Primal, because they espouse eating like a caveman but allow all those supposedly low carb flours. Cavemen definitely didn't have muffin tins. Simultaneously while scoffing muffins, Paleo types tend to have a real downer on dairy. I think it's more likely that cavepeople corralled a passing goat, cow or sheep than they milled flour with rocks, somehow.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Read laughing... I didn't realise I was a lower carber till came to this website. Done it nigh on 50 years!! I genuinely thought everyone ate like me. I now look in peoples trolleys and realise that I have been so wrong.

I look up paleo and ketogenic recipes but do alot from
Madeline Shaws kindle book "get the glow" as my first port of call if needing inspiration.

My non diabetic best pal has also become a follower of her recipes and a non diabetic but recovering anorexic has too.

She seems to encompass for a wide sense of wellbeing.. Albeit some of her ingredients are expensive. I just choose cheaper options.

I find paleo and ketogenic recipes great also meditereanean... One thing I do not look at all is "british recipes" if there is such a thing.

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1440872768.207902.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1440872808.757627.jpg

Reactions: 8 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
British cooking is full of pastry, potatoes and dumplings. Whereas French cooking can be low carb with a lot of cream or very Mediterranean veg-heavy. Alsace is all sausages and bread though.

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Plain fish, tripe, porridge, pasta, boiled rice,
Please post a photo when you get them!

Reactions: 2 people

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I've never really paid a lot of attention to most diets and their names, like Atkins or Paleo and so on, and to be honest I wasn't even entirely sure of what exactly was "in" and "out" with these diets.

Then just a few days ago I was watching a show on TV that was explaining the "Paleo" diet, and I realized that it's pretty much identical to what I'm already eating, with the one exception that I don't exclude dairy. So I decided I was "Lacto Paleo" and surprise surprise, and when I googled it I found that really is "a thing". Anyway, just thought it interesting that LCHF, at least in some forms, does overlap pretty neatly with Paleo.

Here I was thinking that I just followed a boring "medical" diet to my control diabetes, then suddenly I realize that for the first time in my life I'm actually following a "trendy" diet. Just wondering if I need to grow my sideburns and update my wardrobe and sunglasses now? :cool:
Lol, :D Also very similar to the Primal Blueprint very popular link http://www.marksdailyapple.com I use this a lot, lots of good recipes on the forum obviously not everyone is diabetic just trying to eat healthily.II know they talk abot going back to our primal ancestors etc, but some of the food ideas are great!!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I didn't realize that I was ketogenic until I researched it!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
And I still wear Ben Sherman and my Harrington Jacket! Despite having a lot less hair for a mod cut!;):p:rolleyes:

Reactions: 8 people