Just Returning To The Uk As A Type 2 Diabetic, A Couple Of Questions.

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
Hey there,
I've just got a call from my new GP, only registered last week and got my blood test done last Thursday, My bloods are back and he wants to see me about my Iron levels and Folate levels. As soon as I was told this I thought anaemia. I had it when I was very young but not since. Has anyone else had this? I am following a high protein low carb diet, but because I have just re-settled in the UK I am still trying to sort this out as I'm not use to the available products. (I was living in Dubai previously Diabetic capital of the world I was told.)

Anyway one other question will I be issued with a glucose testing meter? The one I use to check my Freestyle Libre uses what I believe is the American system and the test strips are not available in the UK.

Thanks for any advice or help.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not usual for a GP to prescribe strips - you might even be advised not to test, if you are not on any glucose lowering medication.
From my own experience type two diabetes is not taken all that seriously by some HCPs - the diet advice is non existent or a joke, so it really is just by chance that there is a nurse in the practice who is on the ball. Hopefully you will get a good one.

Reactions: Energize

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
It is not usual for a GP to prescribe strips - you might even be advised not to test, if you are not on any glucose lowering medication.
From my own experience type two diabetes is not taken all that seriously by some HCPs - the diet advice is non existent or a joke, so it really is just by chance that there is a nurse in the practice who is on the ball. Hopefully you will get a good one.

Thanks for the reply. The nurse is on the ball to some extent. She did check my feet pulses and nerves which is the first time it was done. In the UAE it's all done on insurance and even then I only had one doctor who was any good and I had to stop seeing him because my insurance wouldn't cover it anymore.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@simonr1 - Your meter/reader will work in the UK, with the strips here, but it will still display your results in the Dubai-styleeeeeeeee. It is the meter which governs that.

Whether your GP will prescribe strips for that or any other meter may be a very different matter. It would depend on both your Doctor's view on it, your condition and what, if any medications you take for your diabetes.

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@simonr1 - Your meter/reader will work in the UK, with the strips here, but it will still display your results in the Dubai-styleeeeeeeee. It is the meter which governs that.

Whether your GP will prescribe strips for that or any other meter may be a very different matter. It would depend on both your Doctor's view on it, your condition and what, if any medications you take for your diabetes.

The strips are physically not available in the UK, I have already spoken with the manufacturer. I'm on Metformin Glucophage RX 1000mg morning and night.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The strips are physically not available in the UK, I have already spoken with the manufacturer. I'm on Metformin Glucophage RX 1000mg morning and night.

Have you rung Abbott to ask them about compatible strips?

I have bought strips overseas for my UK meter and it all worked a charm, so it could just be a naming thing, with the strips being called something else Dubai/UK.

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you rung Abbott to ask them about compatible strips?

I have bought strips overseas for my UK meter and it all worked a charm, so it could just be a naming thing, with the strips being called something else Dubai/UK.
I use a meter called One Touch Select, I contacted them once before and they told me that this meter was for use outside of the UK and Europe and that the strips were not available here. Which is a pain. And I use the phone App to connect to my freestyle libre. I haven't got the reader as when I bought the sensor from Asda Pharmacy they didn't have any, and still don't. I know you can get them on line it's just I don't want to spend money if I can get a meter on the NHS.

Edited by Mod.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a meter called One Touch Select, I contacted them once before and they told me that this meter was for use outside of the UK and Europe and that the strips were not available here. Which is a pain. And I use the phone App to connect to my freestyle libre. I haven't got the reader as when I bought the sensor from Asda Pharmacy they didn't have any, and still don't. I know you can get them on line it's just I don't want to spend money if I can get a meter on the NHS.

Edited by Mod.

Ah. I misinterpreted your post.

Based on your medication, I wouldn't hold out much hope of strips being prescribed, but it's worth asking, for sure.

dipsydo

If you search on the internet there are lots of organisations offering one touch select strips at various prices. As the prices are in £ sterling then I assume they are available for UK purchasers . They are not as cheap as some other strips but if you are happy with your meter it might be worth buying a small tub as a test to see if they work as you expect.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you search on the internet there are lots of organisations offering one touch select strips at various prices. As the prices are in £ sterling then I assume they are available for UK purchasers . They are not as cheap as some other strips but if you are happy with your meter it might be worth buying a small tub as a test to see if they work as you expect.
Or, just buy another meter, they are not necessarily expensive.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/