Just started insulin

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I have posted on this forum before, I thought I had type 2 diabetes, I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. After years of high blood sugar a doctor has finally asked for a islet cell antibodies test, it was positive so I started insulin on Tuesday. At least I know now why my blood sugar levels have been rising despite me loosing weight and eating better. I have a few questions, can anyone answer some of them?

1) Either my GP or chemist can't read. I dropped off a note from the hospital to the GP asking for a prescription for strips to test if I've got ketones in my urine, I've ended up with ketone test strips for some kind of blood testing meter. I discovered this yesterday, so can't get another prescription until Tuesday. Am I right in thinking I really should get these test strips on Tuesday, it can't wait until Friday?

2) If I'm testing my blood sugar am I right in thinking there is no need to ever test to see if there is glucose in my urine? Twice this week when asking for blood test strips from the Dr I've ended up with two prescriptions, one for blood test strips and one for urine glucose test strips. I can't work out why.

3) I think the Novofine needles I got on prescription hurt more than the 'BD Micro-Fine+' ones they gave me at the hospital. Is this just my imagination? They are both the same diameter (0.25mm/31G) so I don't see how one can hurt more than the other.

4) I've only got one finger-pricker that came with the meter, I think a spare one might be useful in case I lose it, can I get this from the Dr/on prescription? The meter came from the Dr.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Can you please clarify.....have you actually been told you are a Type 1, or are you a Type 2 on Insulin. It makes a big difference to the answers you may get.

Ken

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The consultant said Type 1, as the islet cell antibodies test was positive. Before Tuesday I was on metformin, pioglitazone and glitazide, the consultant said these were still having an affect as I still had some working beta cells left (he said this would have been why the previous doctors had assumed I was type 2 despite my age and weight, because the tablets worked at first). He said to stop the pioglitazone and glitazide as these would 'wear out' the beta cells quicker, but to still take the metformin (2g slow release) as it would not harm the beta cells.

The insulin I am taking is 10 units levemir, and 2-4 units NovoRapid. They were very vague at the hospital about the NovoRapid, but taking 4 units with large meals has meant my blood sugars are in or just slightly over the recommended range.

I have no idea if I have any insulin resistance. Is there any test they can do to find out?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Thanks for that. :)
Can you change your profile to show that you are now a Type 1 please ?

Ken.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd forgotten I've filled in that section on the profile! There, changed!

jopar

HLW said:
Hi all, I have posted on this forum before, I thought I had type 2 diabetes, I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. After years of high blood sugar a doctor has finally asked for a islet cell antibodies test, it was positive so I started insulin on Tuesday. At least I know now why my blood sugar levels have been rising despite me loosing weight and eating better. I have a few questions, can anyone answer some of them?

1) Either my GP or chemist can't read. I dropped off a note from the hospital to the GP asking for a prescription for strips to test if I've got ketones in my urine, I've ended up with ketone test strips for some kind of blood testing meter. I discovered this yesterday, so can't get another prescription until Tuesday. Am I right in thinking I really should get these test strips on Tuesday, it can't wait until Friday?
The strips given are for the Exceed meter's which can read BG or using these strips can read blood ketones, you need to ask your doctor for Ketur-test or kito test strips for ketones for urine testing

2) If I'm testing my blood sugar am I right in thinking there is no need to ever test to see if there is glucose in my urine? Twice this week when asking for blood test strips from the Dr I've ended up with two prescriptions, one for blood test strips and one for urine glucose test strips. I can't work out why.
Here if your blood glucose is above 12mmol/ml then you do need to check whether any ketones are present in the urine, so you can take preventive action to prevent the body going into DKA (your clinic should give you sick day rules + how to correct high BG
3) I think the Novofine needles I got on prescription hurt more than the 'BD Micro-Fine+' ones they gave me at the hospital. Is this just my imagination? They are both the same diameter (0.25mm/31G) so I don't see how one can hurt more than the other.
If you find the needles supplied by the hospital suit better, insist that your prescription is for this one particular brand.. Different manufacuters have a slighlty different method in cutting the end of they syringe, some are straight cut others are angled some people find this does make a difference to injecting experience

4) I've only got one finger-pricker that came with the meter, I think a spare one might be useful in case I lose it, can I get this from the Dr/on prescription? The meter came from the Dr.

meters and finger prickers tend to come as a pair, you can ask your doctor/clinic for another meter for spare, or you can ring the meter company who might supply it free of charge, they make their money on the tests strips not on the meters and of cause if you got their meter then you have to use their test strips

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Now they've sorted out that you are T1 (just had the slow on set version) you should be able to bring your BG under control... Can take a little bit of faffing and sorting but carefully monitoring of your carb intake (and type) BG's and any exercise etc, you will be able to build a good picture of whats going on, and how to sort it all..

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply.

re: 2 I meant I keep ending up with prescriptions for urine glucose (not ketones) testing strips, am I right in thinking I don't need these?

jopar

Sorry about that, no you don't need test strips for testing your urine, very old hat way of doing it, all you need is the Bloog Glucose strips and the ketones..

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good so I can add that to my list of things to complain about at the doctor's tomorrow...
I will be 2 hrs late at work because of their mistake - prescribing blood ketone rather than urine ketone strips. It is a bit irritating, it's not like I have something rare like rabies, there are quite a lot of people with diabetes in this country, you'd have thought they wouldn't make mistakes like this.