Just started Metformin

Allic1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

I'm a real newbie, I only got diagnosed 8th July, I saw a diabetic educator on the 11th July and was given a meter.

I started a food diary and tested 6 times a day, so I could see what happens to my Bg levels.

So yesterday I see the doctor, show her my food dairy (she was really pleased, as I have been so stricted and lost 1.5kg/3.3 pounds in just over a week)

My levels hadn't really come down so she started me on Metformin, 1x500mg twice a day.

So I have taken 2 lots so far, no issues yet with the stomach but my BG levels have dropped already! (I'm doing a little experiment of eating the same for 2 days to see what they are)

Yesterday pre breakfast 10.7 today 9.6
Yesterday post breakfast 10.6 today 8.8
Yesterday pre lunch 8.4 today 6.8 (even had a skinny latte with 1 sugar when I met my friend for coffee as I had forgot my stevia)

Early days, but I'm pleased so far just thought I'd share :D

Netty70

Good luck Hun, I'm also a newbie got diagnosed 2wks before my wedding but my sugar levels were so high when they started me on medication I lost nearly all my eyesight for about a month but that has thankfully returned scary times for me
Found this sight really great if you need to know anything someone on here knows the answer

Good luck with it Hun :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Allic1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Netty,

Thanks for the reply!

I bet that was scary for you and 2 weeks before your wedding!

How are you going on the Metformin? any side effects for you?

Keep us updated on how you go on!

Good luck to you too!
Alli :wave:

Netty70

Hi Hun

Not noticed any side effects also take gliprimide that seems fine too
Feel I am doing ok but got a blood test coming up and really nervous lol
Hopefully everything will be ok and for you also

Good luck Hun :)

Cornsy

Hi
I was diagnosed in January and put on metformin yesterday, just one a day for a week then two. I only took the tablet an hour ago so fingers crossed that I'm ok with it.

luizalotos

Hi everyone,

I was pre diabetic on control diet but from beginning of this year my levels rose to 9.5% and staying on this level. My GP prescribe me Metformin once a day 500mg , 2 months ago. I know that its help me to manage my sugar levels but is that necessary ?

Thank you for any replay