Just want help

SophSmiles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my name is Sophie I turned 15 2 days ago and I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 3 days ago. I'm really struggling with all of it and guess I'm just looking for people who understand and might be able to help me with this. I don't understand my body anymore and my blood sugars just keep dropping and spiking, I just feel really out of control. I have a nurse coming to the house twice a day to help me get used to the injections and she's nice and answers questions but I want people who have been through this and understand what I'm feeling.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
are you in the UK and can't sleep, or from a different time zone like australia?
I've got diabetes, but it's the different type 2 and I'm a Grandpar. we are nearly the same :)
so I mainly want to say hello and welcome you here
I couldn't believe it when I was first told. I had lots of feelings, it wasn't fair and overwhelmed by it all. There seemed to be so much to learn

Reactions: 2 people

SophSmiles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you jack, I'm from uk I just couldn't sleep, I feel really overwhelmed and angry and emotional. When does it get easier?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Your T1 will normally be related to anti-bodies you have which you could have done nothing about so you have done nothing wrong. My nephew acquired T1 at age 22 so it can affect many young people without warning. You will get used to the insulin injections which I now find irritating but not a problem any more. As the insulin is balanced with your food (carb) intake then the highs and lows should smooth out; your nurse should help with that. There are variations to insulin regimes which can help a bit with lifestyle if needed. If you have any specific questions then do ask on this or the T1 forum and the nurse of course.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

It is a huge change to accept, i cried myself to sleep for 6 weeksbefore thinking.. Hey I got to get on with this..kept thinking 'why me?' all the time. However, it does get better and easier. I was put on a strict guide of whatI could eat...and it took a while to learn that actually if I want something I just have to work out how muchinsulin I need.
What is it that you are finding especially difficult? If its spikes etc when you eat, this evens out as you learn.. 3 days in you are doing very well, so don't put too much pressure on yourself....
Diabetes isn't a problem, honest. It does change your life, but shouldn't rule your life.....
I remember my diagnosis very clearly. I can honestly say that I have looked after myself better because I have diabetes than if I hadn't have git diagnosed with it. I see all the larger people around me because they eat too much (not all of them if course) and I think that could have been me. Instead, I have a gorgeous, slim, lean body and I'm proud of it. That is solely because I have looked after myself.
I know unlike so many people that I have my blood pressure etc checked and again lots of people don't and don't realise they should.

Your life will change, but you could make it for the better... And I'm sure you will.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Look for the positives... Very easy to accept the negatives and be worried about them. You are still you, diabetes may throw a little disruption in to your life at times, but the main thing is that you can still enjoy yourself and definitely you can still be happy. Takes a little while, and tears need to fall from your eyes, before you will think.. HEY, I CAN DO THIS..I'M STILL ME.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Look for the positives... Very easy to accept the negatives and be worried about them. You are still you, diabetes may throw a little disruption in to your life at times, but the main thing is that you can still enjoy yourself and definitely you can still be happy. Takes a little while, and tears need to fall from your eyes, before you will think.. HEY, I CAN DO THIS..I'M STILL ME.

SophSmiles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, I guess I'm still in shock, it feels better knowing other people got upset and angry in the beginning too

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you jack, I'm from uk I just couldn't sleep, I feel really overwhelmed and angry and emotional. When does it get easier?
it takes a bit of time to get use to, don't try and rush it
you know how when your mum asks "how was school" and you say "fine" and then go to your your bedroom.
this time you need to tell your mum how you really feel

Last edited by a moderator:

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Hi there. I'm only '3 months in' so kinda know what you're going through. At first I was in denial. Didn't take any time off to adjust. Went back to work the day I was discharged from hospital, just 5 days after being very nearly killed by DKA. Thought it would be a doddle. Within 3 weeks I was back in hospital with DKA again. So decided to take it seriously. Physically, I don't find it too demanding. Emotionally, I do find it tough. Everything I do during every waking minute affects my sugars, and I feel somewhat judged everytime I look at my meter. My only advice is to take some time away from whatever you do to learn how to manage things properly and grab all the support offered to you with both hands. I wish you well.

Tom

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Tom

People don't judge you for having to test your blood. Honest. Their thoughts will be especially with parents-are you high or low.. That'll be their thoughts, before thinking that you might be in normal range, because they want the best health for you.
Strangers normally look because they are thinking-thank goodness that's not me...or they know of somebody else that's diabetic. They are inquisitive just what you have to do, but honest I have never had anybody judge me for having my T1 for 30 years now.
People around me are amazed because they think (perhaps this is judging a little) that I am fit and healthy and slim and they aren't. They may well think that a diabetic is an unealthy person, so its this that amazes people when they see what I do.
Do. I'm proud to be me and so should young children and adolescents...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
it takes a bit of time to get use to, don't try and rush it
you know how when your mum asks "how was school" and you say "fine" and then go to your your bedroom.
this time you need to tell your mum how you really feel

So agree with this, your mum, your dad, another relative or a good friend. You need someone that you trust to help you along this change in your life. Parents are just as shocked as children, and so wish that the best for you that they will worry endlessly too.

If you get other children making any nasty comments that you are different... Say yes I am, but I am proud to be different as I am learning more than you about important things. Your good friends will want to help you. Sisters and brothers can actually get a little bit jealous because your parents will be showing you more attention. So it can take a little while for close people to understand, and sometimes they can say something that will annoy you, but its because they worry.

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sophie and welcome, you have started off on the right foot by joining this forum, you will get lots of advice and support from members who are long term diabetics and very knowledgeable, they will understand exactly how you feel. I am Type 2, but still felt very scared when I was first diagnosed in February this year, my head was spinning with everything and didn't know where to start. Take your time and have a good look round the site (there is a Forum for children and teens) might be worth a look to communicate with someone your own age.

Don't try to take in everything at once, read some of the other forums and other people's posts, it is amazing all the little tips you will find to help you on your way to controlling you bg.

Good luck and keep you chin up.:)

Marilyn x

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Hi SophSmiles. I am type 2 and not even sure what that means yet. I new a girl over 30 years ago who was type 1. medication was not as good back then. She is still well and healthy and attractive.