Justice

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
In my opinion, when parents torture their children, whether for religious reasons or malice, the law should give a relative or friend or even police, the right to shoot them but not necessarily kill them. Best, to wound in a part of the anatomy which leaves them sick and dying for many years. That's justice.

Erin

DCUK NewsBot

Two parents have been found guilty of murder after letting their 15-year-old son with type 1 diabetes starve to death over a number of years. Editor's note: Please be aware that this story contains upsetting information and some readers may find the accounts troubling. Emil and Rodica Radita, from Calagry, Canada, were sentenced to 25 years’ life in prison, with no parole, on Friday 24 February. Alexandru Radita was aged 15 when he died in 2013 weighing just 37 pounds (17 kg). When found, the boy's body was so thin he was described as looking "mummified" by the paramedic, Deborah Baumback, who was called to the scene. Baumback reported that Alexandru had an approximate three-inch waist and was missing many of his teeth. He was covered in ulcers and was wearing a nappy when he died. The cause of death was recorded as "bacterial sepsis brought on by extreme starvation". The death was a long, slow decline in health that "took place over months and possibly, probably years". The boy's troubles began at a very early age when his parents refused to accept his type 1 diabetes diagnosis. A pediatrician who had treated Alexandru stated that his mother didn’t believe he had type 1 diabetes, and that "she and God" were going to prove the doctors were wrong. He did not receive treatment from his parents and was hospitalised for the first time in December 2000. This would be one of a string of hospital admissions that he would have through his life. The hospital caring for Alexandru initially prevented him from being discharged over worries that his parents were in denial over his diabetes. The parents were trained on how to treat his diabetes but three months later, Alexandru was back in hospital. Doctors raised concerns that the parents may have been faking his blood glucose readings and the parents were warned that he may need to be taken into care. After another hospitalisation in October 2003, he was put into foster care and his health improved. One year later and he was back with his parents. Some years later, the family moved to Alberta. Alexandru was not given adequate treatment and he was kept in his room away from people seeing him. He was enrolled in an online school program for a year and never saw any doctors in Alberta. The trial heard that the parents' religious beliefs were such that they didn't think Alexandru needed to see doctors. A number of Bible verses, relating to health, were found on display in the family home and were admitted as evidence. The judge, Justice Karen Horner, stated that both parents were equally guilty of the murder of Alexandru Radita. "Mr. and Mrs. Radita intended to and did isolate Alex from anyone who could intervene or monitor his insulin treatment aside from themselves," stated Justice Horner. "The evidence underscores that the Raditas were well aware how ill Alex was and still refused to treat his medical condition with proper insulin protocol and medical care." The parents were said to be devoid of emotion following their sentencing. Crown prosecutor Susan Pepper stated, "This was a really difficult case for all involved. The facts that Justice Horner found were such that you really did see the magnitude of Alex's suffering, how long it was and how extensive it was. "Certainly, the evidence that was presented in court does show that the system and the social safety net in our province, and in our country, did fail Alex."

Continue reading...

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
What a very very sad case can't think of words to describe it

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's not justice, @Erin it's barbarism. Certainly there are cases where we should lock someone up and throw away the key but, in my view, the fact that we don't have capital punishment in the UK is proof that we are still - in some respects - a civilised nation. The kind of thing that you propose is crude and medieval; as a nation we moved on from it several centuries ago, thank goodness.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The suffering that poor boy endured is impossible to imagine.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reading this most shocking report I think the authorities should never have allowed this kid to back to those two monsters in 2003. Although admittedly I know F All about this area of the law in Canada I feel that this kid would still be here today if this was done. Here we are in the 21st century and still there are people that have such fundamental religious beliefs that they are prepared to let the young and the innocent suffer for their own selfish ignorance.

And I am in no way tarring a whole lot of other religious folks with the same brush, just a select few

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure how I feel about either of your posts @Erin @jay hay-char . I think @Erin is referring to the boy who was type1 diabetic and neglected by his parents and the system? He died a very slow very painful death the poor boy ..... it's heartbreaking .
It was in Canada so I am not sure how they will deal with the parents ....

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a terrible case but it doesn't alter my view. The parents in question were religious maniacs who were definitely deluded and almost certainly insane and I don't accept that any notion of "justice" would be served by sentencing them to a lingering death, however awfully they treated their child (and it was awful).

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

I believe in Karma, or what goes around comes around.

The parents will have to watch there backs in prison, as payback will be swift.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In a perfect world the boy would have been removed from his parents and cared for by caring and knowledgeable people and the parents would have been taken to some institution where their beliefs could do no one any further harm.
The sad thing is that it all could have ended well if those with the authority to set such things in motion had been of a mind too do so - it is not just the parents who did something wrong in this case.

Reactions: dms1 and Prem51

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's not justice, @Erin it's barbarism. Certainly there are cases where we should lock someone up and throw away the key but, in my view, the fact that we don't have capital punishment in the UK is proof that we are still - in some respects - a civilised nation. The kind of thing that you propose is crude and medieval; as a nation we moved on from it several centuries ago, thank goodness.

I believe it. An eye for an eye.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It was a neglectful, a barbaric and a slow horrific death for a this poor young man at the hands of those who should love and protect him, they have been found guilty and I hope they suffer until it's time for them to leave this planet.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
In a perfect world the boy would have been removed from his parents and cared for by caring and knowledgeable people and the parents would have been taken to some institution where their beliefs could do no one any further harm.
The sad thing is that it all could have ended well if those with the authority to set such things in motion had been of a mind too do so - it is not just the parents who did something wrong in this case.

Absolutely right, I know about that regarding my little grandson, one parent and her partner, Social services/child welfare have a lot to answer for.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion, when parents torture their children, whether for religious reasons or malice, the law should give a relative or friend or even police, the right to shoot them but not necessarily kill them. Best, to wound in a part of the anatomy which leaves them sick and dying for many years. That's justice.

Erin

But it also makes us no better than them. I definitely feel too that they should be treated thus - but IMO this would be vengeance not impartial justice though...

Robbity

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes