1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Keep being low

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Twisterr, May 28, 2014.

1. Twisterr

Twisterr Type 1 · Active Member

Today I woke up with 6,5 them took insulin and ate bread with nuttela then i was a 3.4 after a hour . then had lunch at 12 which was rice my bg after lunch was 6.4 then after 45 min I was a 3.1 . At 3:00 I'm a 2.9 I've had about 1 and a half bottles of Lucozade today and I am never often low only low like once a week my bg is always 5-13

2. bonus

bonus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Did you take the same fast and slow acting insulin you normally do? (guessing you are T1)

3. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Sounds like your basal may be too high. Do you often take Lucozade? If you take it quite often to correct then you certainly need to check your Basal and that your Rapid ratio is correct.

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Your preprandial bg readings are fine so it looks like your injecting too much bolus for the food you are eating, try tweaking your ratio's and this should solve the problem.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Adamski

Adamski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ratios will change over time, as above, adjust doses, and keep testing before and after meals until you find a ratio that works :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Twisterr

Yes and the same amount

7. Twisterr

I'm ate the same foods I always eat and I'm on a fixed dose but can change it if I feel high or eat a big meal

8. Twisterr

Im on a fixed dose

9. Twisterr

Does anybody know a carb counting corse online

10. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

There's one here but, if like the DAFNE course it is aimed at those who are on basal/bolus:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Have a chat with your diabetes team about adjusting your insulin doses to prevent the postprandial hypo's.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

While you wait to learn about carb counting and using a carb ratio, it looks like you need to reduce the fixed insulin doses you are taking (for the meals that are causing you to go low).

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

12. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

Hi twister, you should be able to get your nurse this morning, she can help you with changing your insulin dose.

its been good that you have been able to manage these lows, it has to give you more confidence

13. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

Hi Twister,
    I think that the online course is good but it is aimed at adults . As a young person you are still growing so your insulin needs may vary much more than adults. As Jack says it's best to contact your nurse to help you with changing doses.
    As you are obviously interested, you should also ask her about learning to adjust the insulin according to the carb content.
    There is a book, produced by a British dietitian, that shows the carb content of many foods in different portion sizes. A lot of people seem to find really helpful when they start to carb count . You can get it either as a book or an app.
    http://www.carbsandcals.com/area/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-diet/

14. Twisterr

Thank you everyone

15. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

how have you been the last few days?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook