Keeping Insulin cool when on holiday

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am on large amounts of Novorapid and Lantus Solostar Insulins. I therefore have to take many pre-filled pens with me when I go on holiday. Fridges aren't always available, and even if they are, I still have to transport the Insulin. A Frio Pack only officially holds 5 pens (although can get 7 in), but Frio packs, after a while take ages to get to working stage, and have to be replaced at a not particularly cheap cost. I have also tried using a small insulated bag with a frozen pack in it, but am not sure if this is good for the Insulin, and this will only last a certain amount of time, and no use if no freezer available ! I always take twice the amount of Insulin I'll need if abroad, in case of it being lost/stolen/ruined or me being hospitalised, and carry half in my hand luggage, half in my husband's. If I go away for 3 weeks (therefore needing 6 weeks), I would have to take approximately 35 pens with me. Any ideas on transporting this amount of pens, and especially keeping the Insulin in good condition if no fridge available ?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One possibility is to change your disposable pens for cartridges + reusable pens. I think both lantus and Novo come in this format.
The largest Frio takes 20 cartridges so you would only need two.
Re Frios , I do find mine takes longer to rehydrate initally but once hydrated and kept wet then it still works well after more than 7 years.
I've tried flasks and ice wrapped up to insulate it, it will work but It depends on being able to get supplies of ice. (probably not to difficult on a hotel holiday. I sometimes backpack so have to rely on the odd friendly restaurant, so I think that Frios are fantastic.)

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
phoenix said:
One possibility is to change your disposable pens for cartridges + reusable pens. I think both lantus and Novo come in this format.
The largest Frio takes 20 cartridges so you would only need two.
Re Frios , I do find mine takes longer to rehydrate initally but once hydrated and kept wet then it still works well after more than 7 years.
I've tried flasks and ice wrapped up to insulate it, it will work but It depends on being able to get supplies of ice. (probably not to difficult on a hotel holiday. I sometimes backpack so have to rely on the odd friendly restaurant, so I think that Frios are fantastic.)

Thanks Phoenix, but I changed years ago from cartridges to the much easier pre-filled pens so changing would be a backwards step, and therefore I cannot get a Frio to hold 20 pens, although I know they can hold 20 cartridges.

iHs

Hi

I also recommend using 300 unit cartridges (5 in a pack) with an insulin pen to take on holiday instead of the pre filled disposable pens.

I have been abroad a few times but nearly always stayed in a hotel room and just put my insulin in a plastic bag and wrapped it up in a flannel soaked in cold water and put that in another bag. Worked all ok even when temp was up in the high 80's. As long as the insulin is kept cool (keep soaking the flannel under a tap - ladies loos), it should be all ok.....

josielou

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In all honesty, my husband never keeps his insulin in the fridge even in this country!! he says he hates the icy feel of the insulin moving along his veins! When we have been abroad, he has a good old wash bag just for his Novorapid cartidges, his Lantus Glargine pre-filled pens and meter and doctors letter and keeps them in his suitcase when in the room. In florida, he never had a problem with the insulin going funny and I carried his pen around in my bag all day. One thing he did do, was keep the pen he was using in the drawer in the hotel as they never seem to get too warm.

Hope this is some help!!