keeping track of all the different ratios

LaughingHyena

I was having a lot of trouble keeping my BG in range and recently switched to levimir twice a day from lantus once a day. I've also been fiddling with my ratios per meal rather than using a set one throughout the day. So far I've got one for breakfast, another for lunch and I'm still working on dinner.

With 2 (possibly 3 soon) novorapid ratios and 2 different levimir doeses I'm :crazy: each time I come to inject. Does anyone else find this, and how do you keep track of which dose to take when? I'm sure the day will come when I get them all mixed up :shock:

SAH154

Yes mine used to vary 1.5 to 10g carb breakfast and 1:10 rest of day this was due (as told by consultant) to 'wake up' hormones at breakfast time that can raise BS

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Every meal-time has a different ratio and nothing is set in stone in my experience, my basal requirement can change 2 - 5 times a year just by a single unit and it's really a case of monitoring and making changes where necessary.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
LaughingHyena said:
I was having a lot of trouble keeping my BG in range and recently switched to levimir twice a day from lantus once a day. I've also been fiddling with my ratios per meal rather than using a set one throughout the day. So far I've got one for breakfast, another for lunch and I'm still working on dinner.

With 2 (possibly 3 soon) novorapid ratios and 2 different levimir doeses I'm :crazy: each time I come to inject. Does anyone else find this, and how do you keep track of which dose to take when? I'm sure the day will come when I get them all mixed up :shock:

For the life of me I can not remember their names but there are at least 2 meters that you can record all your details/ratios/correction factors etc and it works out what you need to inject as well. One of the meters is made by Roche.
You set them up as you would an insulin pump. So worth asking your DSN

iHs

Roche Accu Chek Expert
Abbott Freestyle InsuLinx

Both are bolus wizard blood glucose meters and will enable you to enter your carb ratios, correction factors etc

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
iHs said:
Roche Accu Chek Expert
Abbott Freestyle InsuLinx

Both are bolus wizard blood glucose meters and will enable you to enter your carb ratios, correction factors etc

Thanks IHS :)

pickle76

Can thoroughly recommend the AccuChek Expert meter (I used this for a while before going on the pump, and use the equivalent blue-tooth version now), but otherwise I would just write your levemir doses and ratios down so you don't have to try and remember what you're on and when. Writing your bg readings down for a while too (a pain I know) will help you to see patterns in relation to your doses and ratios, and enable you to tweak things if needed.

jones_48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not a very useful comment, but i didn't realise ratios changed for each meal! :shock: Started carb counting in december and have been struggling with why my sugar levels go low after lunch but no other meal!! thanks for the insight :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jones_48 said:
Not a very useful comment, but i didn't realise ratios changed for each meal! :shock: Started carb counting in december and have been struggling with why my sugar levels go low after lunch but no other meal!! thanks for the insight :)

Lesson learnt Jones, it's complicated business this carb-counting lark but it does pay-off in the end :)

LaughingHyena

No problem, It's not something I'd really taken on board till very recently. I was having problems keeping BG levels where I would like them and the suggested I may need different levels throughout the day. It certainly seem to be making a difference for me.

I've been using a phone app (on track) recomended by mebers here to keep records of BG, carbs and insulin units. It has really helped seeing a graph of levels and being able to compare days. Much easier than my previous spreacsheet.

Thanks for the tip about different meters, I'm going back in to the clinic next week so I will ask about them.