keeping your pump dry

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do you keep your pump dry when having a shower.
my pump is not waterproof so i wait until it need refilling and total remove everthing or i unplug the infusion set and take it off. the trouble with doing this i find that the sticky on the cannula come unstuck and it needs replacing anyway.
pumping with medtronic minimed mio and paradigm reservior..

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @caretaker I use the minimed too and have no problems removing the infusion set as it's a plug in pull out system, I wouldn't ever consider having it on in the shower as i'd be too fearful of getting it wet even if it was in a waterproof cover. When you say the sticky on the cannula do you mean the plaster that sticks to your skin, as it shouldn't come off.

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @caretaker I use the minimed too and have no problems removing the infusion set as it's a plug in pull out system, I wouldn't ever consider having it on in the shower as i'd be too fearful of getting it wet even if it was in a waterproof cover. When you say the sticky on the cannula do you mean the plaster that sticks to your skin, as it shouldn't come off.
Yer i mean the plaster only tried this once and it came off within a few minutes..lucky i was at home and not had rushed out.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@caretaker On the Mio set you can release the cannula set from the plaster by squeezing the sides together to release (so on the blue/pink bit attached to the plaster), have you been doing this ?

Reactions: 4 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Mine never comes off in the shower....I find the mio cannula pretty good for that!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How do you keep your pump dry when having a shower.
my pump is not waterproof so i wait until it need refilling and total remove everthing or i unplug the infusion set and take it off. the trouble with doing this i find that the sticky on the cannula come unstuck and it needs replacing anyway.
pumping with medtronic minimed mio and paradigm reservior..
I've been using the sets made by Unomedical for six months. I've not seen issues with those getting wet in that time. I just take the pump off and get in the shower.

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using the sets made by Unomedical for six months. I've not seen issues with those getting wet in that time. I just take the pump off and get in the shower.
i will give it another try. maybe i was just unlucky.