Kelloggs Proves Why We Have To Stop Focusing On Sugar!!!

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I purchased a box of coco pops for the children whilst away with a friend last week and her son was thrilled it was the old recipe, he told me they have now reduced the sugar in the recipe, so i checked the ingredients against a box of the new recipe to find out what they have changed!!! The only change is that before sugar on the list of ingredients is now ' glucose syrup '!!!!! So they have reduced the sugar only to replace it with glucose, the carb content has obviously remained the same but the GI will now be higher than before yet Mr Kelloggs is now able to sell his cereal as being healthier!! As hard as I tried to explain this to my friend all she could see was that they had to be better as they had less sugar in.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I purchased a box of coco pops for the children whilst away with a friend last week and her son was thrilled it was the old recipe, he told me they have now reduced the sugar in the recipe, so i checked the ingredients against a box of the new recipe to find out what they have changed!!! The only change is that before sugar on the list of ingredients is now ' glucose syrup '!!!!! So they have reduced the sugar only to replace it with glucose, the carb content has obviously remained the same but the GI will now be higher than before yet Mr Kelloggs is now able to sell his cereal as being healthier!! As hard as I tried to explain this to my friend all she could see was that they had to be better as they had less sugar in.
Your friend will just see what she wants to see because her kids love coco pops. I feel as if the 'healthy wholegrain' ones are worse though with their fake health halo! I feel like a total health nazi but mine have gotten used to porridge or eggs for breakfast.

Reactions: geefull

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I let my kids choose their breakfast cereals, the youngest likes both Weetabix and Frosties, I'd prefer her not to have the Frosties but as she's an active healthy 11 year old I can see no reason why she can't have them for breakfast, it's funny really that over the years I've bought so many different cereal for the kids that I can't eat :)