Keto Flu

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Yuk, I'm 9 days in eating 70/75% fat and under 20grams of carbs. Loads of water etc. Got headaches and feel tired.
Just having a moan cos I feel rubbish, but I'm sure it will be over soon.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Along with thevusual caveat about salt you might need a bit of salt @dawnmc loads of water in (and out!) is flushing out the minerals mainly salt magnesium and potassium.

Bovril, leafy green veg and homemade magnesium oil are my weapons of choice.

Hang on in there.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Half a teaspoon of salt. Every day. You need it!

Good luck, it's worth it.

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thank you, I've just rediscovered Bovril, its very nice.

Along with thevusual caveat about salt you might need a bit of salt @dawnmc loads of water in (and out!) is flushing out the minerals mainly salt magnesium and potassium.

Bovril, leafy green veg and homemade magnesium oil are my weapons of choice.

Hang on in there.
How do you make magnesium oil?

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I've just rediscovered Bovril, its very nice.

How do you make magnesium oil?
Buy a kilo of magnesium chloride flakes on eBay. You can make it as strong as you like from 100 grams of flakes to 100 grams of distilled water to Max strength 50g water to 100g flakes. Just warm the water up and the flakes will dissolve quickly. Let it cool and put in one of those spray bottles.

I spray mine on my legs after a run to stop cramping but can apply anywhere. Wash off after 20 mins. Viola _ you are getting exactly the same thing as a preprepared spray for less than a tenth of the cost. Can be quite stingy when first applied so go with the weaker solution. Have heard that it's not recommended after shaving your legs but it's not something I do on a regular basis.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Yuk, I'm 9 days in eating 70/75% fat and under 20grams of carbs. Loads of water etc. Got headaches and feel tired.
Just having a moan cos I feel rubbish, but I'm sure it will be over soon.
Sounds way to extreme for me.
I find that extreme ends up in on going this and that's forever.But were all different.
My low carb high fats is really lower carbs higher fat.
In fact it turns out I'm eating the fats of the 1950's but with lower carbs and very well I've done on it and continue to do without any extremes or major problems.
In fact I'm almost Mister Normal!

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Sounds way to extreme for me.
I find that extreme ends up in on going this and that's forever.But were all different.
My low carb high fats is really lower carbs higher fat.
In fact it turns out I'm eating the fats of the 1950's but with lower carbs and very well I've done on it and continue to do without any extremes or major problems.
In fact I'm almost Mister Normal!
Ultra low carbing is too extreme for me too. But each to their own. I think the OP is finding it helpful and she is willing to tough out the keto flu part. Good on her.

Reactions: 3 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
The reason I've gone very low carb is that it was making no difference to my readings, and I lost not one iota of weight. I'm not eating much different to before but I have added a lot more fat.
So for breakfast I will eat scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, or yogurt with cream and macadamia nuts. Lunch may be tuna with salad and mayo, and a 'normal' tea but with more butter on my broccoli or spinach. Just no grains whatsoever.
Today I feel a lot better, and the scale has moved. Yeeeha.
Exercise is upped as well, just ordered a new kettle bell workout too.

Reactions: 10 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason I've gone very low carb is that it was making no difference to my readings, and I lost not one iota of weight. I'm not eating much different to before but I have added a lot more fat.
So for breakfast I will eat scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, or yogurt with cream and macadamia nuts. Lunch may be tuna with salad and mayo, and a 'normal' tea but with more butter on my broccoli or spinach. Just no grains whatsoever.
Today I feel a lot better, and the scale has moved. Yeeeha.
Exercise is upped as well, just ordered a new kettle bell workout too.
Sounds perfectly healthy to me. Are you testing for ketones.

If you you are finding it difficult to get a high % of fat into your diet have a Google on bulletproof coffee or fat bombs. This will speed you up into ketosis and get rid of those headaches.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Cheers Baruney, I love my coffee in the morning, I use MCT oil and cream, and even though I love butter the idea of putting it in my coffee doesn't really appeal.
I must get some keto sticks.
I've looked on pinterest for fat bombs recipes, do you have a good easy one?
Also Baruney do you go keto?

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Generally yes but red wine does get in the way sometimes. If you look up fat fast on the type 2 thread I think @nomistheman and @Merrylizard1314 and we're discussing fbs. I think in the earlier thread we also discuss ketostix vs blood ketones.

Off to work now. Toodle pip.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I've looked everywhere for a low carb high fat red wine to no avail.
Just have to make do.

Reactions: 6 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've looked everywhere for a low carb high fat red wine to no avail.
Just have to make do.
Ah. The holy grail. Good luck on your search dear knight and watch out for the Knights who say carrrrrrrbes and cals (in an off stage whisper).

Reactions: 2 people