1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Keto or low carb?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by andi2508, Feb 16, 2019.

1. andi2508

andi2508 Type 2 · Member

Hi, I’m a 47 year old female, t2 and hypothyroid. My HBA1C was 50 last time it was tested and I’m diet controlled. I’m 244lbs and desperately want to lose weight. I tried keto for 5 weeks (approx 1600cals, 30g carb) and lost 5lbs, 3lbs, 0lb, +1lb, STS. I am so disappointed because I really tried but 3 weeks without any weight loss, at this stage, tells me something is not right. I fell off the wagon last night and immediately gained 3 lbs so I’m now 4lbs down in 5 weeks! I’m thinking of a general low carb diet, 1500 cals and 40/50g carb, no high fat, just normal low carb foods? Any advice, inspiration would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. francis1971

francis1971 Type 2 · Active Member

Hi. I too am of a similar age and weight with both diabetes and hypothyroid. I also have fibromyalgia. I have the carb and cals app and find it really useful as I can also record insulin and bg levels. You can also keep track of your nutrition and set the food group totals. It also has a weight loss plan as part of the set up. I've tried low carb but can't cope with less than 80g of carbs a day. I have recently started using an elliptical trainer at home and have found a combination of 30 mins 3 times a week and walking when able has helped. I'm only losing a couple of pounds a week but I'm happy with that. I hope you find something that helps and makes you happy. It's taken me 18 months of trying everything to find something that works for me. Best wishes Francis.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I am knocking on the door of T2 trying to keep it at bay. My thyroid is also hypo and am trying to come to terms with lower carbs and higher fats. 80g of carbs per day seems very challenging for me too.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jpscloud

jpscloud Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi andi,

From what I understand so far as to how things work on low carb, the healthy fat content needs to be high because it has a high satiety effect, and because it is blood glucose neutral.

I am around 262lbs now, and have lost about 15lbs since easing gently into low carb/high fat and intermittent fasting. Because I lapse sometimes, it's a bit slower for me and I'm in and out of keto.

It's the intermittent fasting that has helped my weight loss, I think. I don't count calories at all, and I eat until I'm full. I do make sure the fat content is high, and this helps me to enjoy my food and feel satisfied. My favourite meal is:

Chicken legs or thighs/ribeye steak/lamb steak with broccoli and slow cooked mushrooms, with a cheese sauce made with extra mature cheddar, double cream and butter. After a 24 hour fast, I couldn't finish a plateful. The fasting seems to reset my monstrous appetite! I just did a 3 day fast, and couldn't eat a full meal last night - this morning I had sausages, eggs and mushrooms, but couldn't finish it.

Intermittent fasting definitely helped me, and if you are able to give it a try, I really do recommend it. The biggest helpful factor for me is on fasting days I really just seem to not care about food. There are moments, but they are brief and pass easily. It's easier for me to know I'm not eating for 24 hours than to faff about with what I can or can't eat.

Another good reason to try intermittent fasting is that it keeps your metabolism on its toes, because it doesn't get a chance to get settled on a certain calorie intake and plateau your weight.

• Like Like x 4
  5. andi2508

andi2508 Type 2 · Member

Thanks Francis, we have a lot in common! I would be very happy with 2lbs per week and 80g of carb per day. I will definitely be checking out that app. If you have time, could you give me an example of a typical day of eating for you? Thanks x

6. andi2508

andi2508 Type 2 · Member

Hi, what is your fasting window? Are you one meal a day? I honestly would try anything to get this weight off! Thanks

7. jpscloud

I do 24 hour fasts, with 16:8 in between and I'm now working in some more extended fasting (3 and 5 day fasts) For example, I'll have dinner at around 5pm (I go to bed very early and I get up at silly o'clock) on Sunday, then fast on Monday until 5pm again, having coffee with cream, green tea, herbal tea and water through the day. That way you don't go without dinner, so it is kind of OMAD I suppose? The next day, I skip breakfast, have something at 11am like olives, hard boiled eggs, nuts, pork scratchings and similar at lunchtime, and then dinner as above. The next day 24 hour fast, and so on. I don't fast at weekends and I am getting better at not lapsing then as well. Mostly!

I have just finished a 3 day fast, and really felt great. I ate dinner on Tuesday night, then nothing until last night. When the fast was coming to an end and I went shopping last night, I couldn't help salivating and my stomach started growling, even though a couple of hours earlier I couldn't have cared less about eating! When I did eat though, my appetite was very small.

I can't stress enough how strange that is for me. I had, or still probably have, the most outrageous appetite and capacity to eat when carbs are involved. Not so (so far at least) with LCHF and intermittent fasting.

Everyone's different but I hope you have success with whatever you try, good luck and please keep us posted!

Edit: forgot to say mini cheeses like babybel are great as well.

• Like Like x 3
  8. jpscloud

I should also say if you're on medications it's really important to check with your Dr before fasting, but I'm sure you know that!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Low carb low fat is just a calorie restricted diet that will slow your basal metabolic rate and do little to treat diabetes in the long term. You’re either going to have to eat high fat or high protein. The maths is inescapable I’m afraid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Rather than trying to restict carbs so much then 'falling off the wagon' try to more moderate low carb diet?
    I was diagnosed with type 2 last summer, went low carb instead of metformin. I saw an improvement in blood sugars within days on 100g carbs a day. Once I'd adjusted to that I went down to 85g a day.
    By 3 months my HbA1c was down to 38.
    Now over 9 months on, I've managed to keep on track, and keep to my targets carbs limit (for 'bad' days when I'm craving carbs I plan to allow myself up to 95g rather than break it completely - that's a slice of lower carb bread or some berries and cream).
    I don't restrict fats. I have cheese, oil-based salad dressings, cream, etc., and even have a couple of squares of 85% chocolate in the evenings.
    I have multiple health conditions and don't even walk much - but I've lost over 4st. And in spite of eating plenty of healthy fats, my triglycerides had been too high but also down into a normal range.
    Have a look at the low carb programme?

• Like Like x 4
  11. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Comes up frequently. People thinking they should lose faster. Take a look at this thread from earlier ://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-help-please.161385/#post-1988956

Did you fall off the wagon with disappointment or hunger? It appears disappointment and you then ate you will have gained water not fat overnight. The extra carbs hold onto water. That’s also the reason you initially lose a lot first couple of weeks. Less carbs less water retention. For now ignore calories. Don’t avoid fat. Fat is for energy. Eat what you need. Once fat adapted and getting to grips with new food choices then check how much you’re having and cut it a bit if required.

BB374790-F0F8-4B47-902A-5E59C3F6B0E1.jpeg 4CBCDAB3-A036-4FEF-89BE-DE83A8C25E09.jpeg

Not sure this is scientifically correct but it does seem to be accurate in terms of what appears to happen. Lots of people have the same experience as you. Another graphic I can’t find right now shows a drop, followed by a period of “healing” and then more steady loss. It happens enough that these explanations get spread about so right or wrong it identifies a common experience. Stick with it and it’ll happen.

Also take a note of measurements and shape (photos). This often changes before weight does. And really as your metabolic health improves - the most important and urgent thing - the weight will follow.

Are you testing your bloods? This will tell you a lot about how your choices are effecting you and perhaps give you motivation it is doing good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. HSSS

I’d add that whilst fasting is a fantastic tool I’d get the basics down first then try that. It’ll be much much easier once fat adapted.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. jpscloud

I have heard that and it does make sense but I am glad I got started with fasting despite not being fat adapted - I'm not really in ketosis most of the time but I am very happy with the benefits of fasting so far.

• Like Like x 3
  14. francis1971

francis1971 Type 2 · Active Member

Breakfast is small bowl of porridge which I put omega 3 seed mix, 3 prunes, cacao powder, 4 pecans crushed, semi skimmed milk. If I'm not particularly hungry I make a whey protein shake. Lunch is normally a salad or tin of soup. Evening meal is anything as long as I'm careful not to go overboard on the carbs. Always loads of veg. I don't have rice, bread, pasta and very careful about potatoes. Usually swap them with parsnips. I used cauliflower rice if we have curry or stew night. Loads of recipes or ideas free online. I can honestly say I do not miss the foods that I have found that spike my bg level.

• Like Like x 3
  15. andi2508

andi2508 Type 2 · Member

Thanks Francis, it all sounds very doable with ordinary food, I will definitely give it a try xx

• Like Like x 2
  16. andi2508

andi2508 Type 2 · Member

Thank you everyone you have given me plenty to think about. I need to do low carb of some kind to control my blood sugar and I need to look at calories for weight loss. I’m happy to eat fat, low fat is tasteless but I think I need to tweak how much fat I’m having. Fingers crossed I will find my sweet spot and it will be a bit more effective and consistent xx

• Like Like x 2
  17. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I probably could fast if forced to. But could not easily bring myself to.

I was speaking to a couple in their early fifties, when on the treadmill the other night. She was Type 1 and he followed suit even though he wasn’t diabetic, it transpired they fasted a couple of days a week and were very positive about its benefits. She did it mainly to keep her weight in check / reduce her weight.

Someone I knew fasted regularly for a couple of days at a time, just to keep her weight in check. It seemed to help.

• Like Like x 3
  18. HSSS

They are almost as high as potatoes. I recently discovered turnips as a lower alternative.

• Like Like x 2
  19. jpscloud

Arghhhh turnips are the food of the devil!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

What does that do to your blood sugars?

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook