1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Keto or low carb?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by andi2508, Feb 16, 2019.

1. TheFloppyOne

TheFloppyOne Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Its pretty simple. Starches, Sugar, MaltoDextrin, Processed Foods and Caffeine all negatively effect your blood sugar.

Eating just a little processed food is enough to shoot your BG past 7 mmol/l. The same can be said for most starches and caffeine.

My step-Dad is type 2 and my mother lets him have bread, potatoes, cows milk, fruit etc etc yet hes wondering why he still has high blood pressure. Its because he is not giving his Pancreas a rest. When you have a bad leg you give it the rest and relaxation which it needs in order to repair. The same can be said for your internal organs. If you want to get better you have to be disciplined.

Let me put it this way.

Imagine looking in the mirror and seeing a flat stomach line and the kind of body shape you had as a teenager.
    Imagine sitting down and able to tug your loose skin and think to yourself "I'm a fat burning machine".
    Imagine feeling above your chest and feeling rock hard muscle.

And best of all ..... imagine not feeling hungry, tired and stressed.

You have to take control if you truly want to get better. No one is going to wave a magic wand for you and no amount of metaformin is going to make you better. Its just a bandage.

You need to repair your Pancreas/Liver while you can because there will come a day when your be in the same shoes as a type 1 diabetic and from what I hear from my neighbour a few doors down it ain't fun. Its really expensive and those who depend on insulin are really scared in the UK at the moment because of Brexit etc.

You can do this!

• Like Like x 1
  2. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This may have been your experience but it is not everyone’s. I found it fairly easy once I understood it and losses started the first week. They weren’t always consistent but they did start then.

Yours is an extremely rigid and limited version of keto. It may well work for you and no doubt for most anyone able to do it but it definitely isn’t the only way to go about it and have success. Tbh I’d find this way far too limiting to have any hope of sticking to it long term and that’s what is most important. And when beginning a low carb way of eating is likely to put people off. Once a more moderate version has been adapted to then more rigid version can be done if desired.

Peanut butter can be low carb, mine is 4.2% and definitely does not take me out of ketosis and I know many people use it.

It is not necessary to go to 0 carbs to achieve ketosis. I got there at 40ish and remain it it up to about 50g. We are all different 20g is supposed to get just about everyone there some like me will get there higher.

Intermittent fasting is a great tool but not essential, and certainly not every day. The most frequent eating window, at least to start with is 6hrs. Drinks other than water can be taken

@andi2508 whilst @TheFloppyOne is not wrong in that his methods are effective please don’t be scared off low carb by this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Not necessarily for everyone.. some people can be in ketosis on 50g of carbs per day or more although to "guarantee" ketosis less than 20g is the recommendation.
    Likewise zero carb isn't essential and leafy greens should be counted towards the 20g daily total.
    I drink a lot of coffee and remain in ketosis almost all the time.. so again caffeine does not have that effect on everyone.

I think you are being a bit hard on yourself eating that way as well as maybe restricting calories too much.. if it works for you then great but it might not be necessary to be so severe for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I drink a lot of coffee also and remain in keto. Actually it's the coffee that helps me keep to 20g and under because I will have a coffee instead of eating carbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I believe some say that caffeine can increase blood glucose, which could in theory hamper fat burning. I’ve personally never noticed this. I would think you’d need to be drinking huge amounts of coffee for it to even put a dent in ketosis. What one puts in the coffee is another matter of course.

6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Coffee can also do other things (in my case it raises blood pressure).
    But it can stimulate adrenalin and other stress hormones, which has a knock on effect on blood glucose and insulin resistance.
    Presumably all that is highly variable and down to the individual's hormone system.

Can't explain all the ramifications - because I don't understand them :) but this link shows how there are various knock on effects on hormones, and the fig quoted is that IR can be raised by 20% by caffeine.
    https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20020206/caffeine-disturbs-blood-sugar-hormone

• Creative Creative x 1
    #46 Brunneria, Feb 18, 2019 at 9:37 AM
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  7. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Another legacy of Metformin and statin is that tea still tastes strange - I think my sense of taste is permanently altered. Rather annoying to have to throw out all the speciality teas I used to enjoy, but they would have been stale anyway.
    I drink a couple of cups of coffee a day, with cream. My husband likes it stronger than I do, so I dilute it with cold water.
    We use the 'gold brick' ground coffee from lidl.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook