1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

ketoacidosis?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by claymic, May 18, 2012.

1. claymic

claymic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

hi

i am a bit confused with ketoacidosis (spelling). i read that you get it if you are running high blood sugars. so i am worried that if i go on a very low carb diet...would it cause ketosis or ketoacidosis...because at the minute i am running sugars between 10 and 14 most readings.

how can it be distinguised.? are there physical symptoms to look out for if ketoacidosis is occuring?

thanks
    Claudette

2. Mileana

Mileana · Well-Known Member

3. claymic

Thanks.yes I have read that topic before hence my question. How high should the bg be to be in danger of ketoacidosis

4. borofergie

borofergie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In order to get into nutritional ketosis you'd have to reduce your carbohydrate intake to such an extent that your BG would be less than 6mmol/l. Nutritional Ketosis occurs when you starve your brain of glucose, while you're levels are high it'd feed off the that rather than breaking down fat and producing ketones.

I'd just worry about getting your BG levels down. If you start seeing ketones and your BG is high, then go the Doctors. Ketoacidosis is a consequence of having no insulin in your blood, not of trying to get into nutrional ketosis.

5. claymic

So it would be a good idea to test for ketones just in case?

6. Mileana

Mileana · Well-Known Member

If you do a low carb diet, your blood glucose should come down and spike less. In that case, you should not need to check for ketones. They don't start forming until your blood sugar is high (around 12 or above, as far as I recall).

Ketoacidosis is more common in type 1 diabetics who have no insulin of their own and cannot do sugar-metabolism without help from injected insulin.

If you do get very high blood sugar readings for any reason, do check, of course. However, a low carb diet should make it less likely to happen at all.

So, if you have high blood sugar, test. If you low carb, you should NOT have high blood sugar (as much). Bottomline - I would not be worried, on the contrary.

7. borofergie

In your case, if you're scared that you might be a misdiagnosed T1 or 1.5 it makes perfect sense to keep and eye on your ketone levels.

8. elainechi

elainechi · Well-Known Member

my daughter had a period when her bs was never under 20 and often in the 30s yet never had ketones in her blood. are some people more suseptible to ketoacidosis?????

9. borofergie

Anyone that does not produce enough insulin needs to be careful of ketoacidosis (usually insulin users who accidently mismanage their dose because of illness or someother reason). Ketones don't necessarily occur when you have high BG levels, but when you have very low insulin levels (which will result in high BG). Ketones and BG are potentially very serious, and your daughter should get urgent medical advice if she gets them.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook