Ketoacidosis

RebeccaSmith

Hey.
I went to the hospital yesterday for my routine 3 monthly checkup. My HBA1C was 6.0, so good stuff, but I felt a little ill and dizzy so checked my ketones; they were 1.1
Just wondered what was bad for ketones...obviously none is ideal. I keep feeling ill and wondered weather it's down to ketones and stress with exams and stuff...I have however ran out of ketone testing strips and am awaiting a perscription so can't check them...
Any advice. Cheers.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a protocol to follow if ketones are present.You should ask for the same, certainly you should find out your appropriate correction dose.

Basicallly if BG is above 14mmol then you should check for ketones. If there are trace ketones (in urine) or less than 0.5 in blood then you need to check every 2 hours and drink plenty of liquids.
If its between 0.5 and 1.5 (blood) or + (urine) then you need to take an appropriate correction dose and retest in 2 hours, reinjecting if necessary.
If it is between 1.5 and 1.8 or ++ the dose is doubled and again you need to check evey 2 hours. Over 1.8 or +++ then contact doctor
f vomitting or feeling unwell call doctor
If test falls below 6.6mmol but there are still ketones, drink a small glass of fruit juice.
Remember to check the expiry date of the strips.
So if BG is high, 1.1 requires a correction dose, drink fluids and check every 2 hours .
You can buy test urinary test strips from a pharmacist if you can't get hold of the blood testing strips. If your BS is high then you should be testing, please don't leave it to chance.

RebeccaSmith

My bloods aren't high. If anything they're low. I was 2.6 before dinner and after dinner. Had some sweeties and carbs and am drinking some low sugar squash. My diabetes nurse doesn't seem bothered by the raised ketones, and i'm not sure if they're high now as I won't be able to get more ketone testing strips until tomorrow at the earliest.
Thanks for the information. All the mml/l and that is a little confusing :)