Ketoasidosis

Sandi1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just got out of hospital after being diagnosed and rushed in with ketoasidosis (have I spelled that correctly). Diagnosed diabetic 7 years ago. First 4 perfectly controlled, then got a chest infection and it went wrong. For the last 3 years my sugar levels have been sky high, averages by my readings 20 to 30 (sometimes higher). Been under community nurses ever since but always saw someone different, every 3 to 4 months. Had lots of minor complications like constant thrush and cystitis and other infections, felt lousy almost constantly, time of work which has not gone down well. Complained about all of this at clinic visits, but all they do is up insulin, lower insulin, change insulin then do it all again. Nobody ever seemed to take it seriously and I was certainly never warned that I could end up as sick as I was. I'm angry and feel very let down. On leaving hospital they said they would take over my care. That was 5 days ago ... and I've heard nothing since. How do I make myself heard? Realised tonight on visiting this site just how much I don't know or understand, and more frighteningly, how bad it is that my condition has been so out of control for 3 years, how much damage has this already done? Work are threatening disciplinary action now I'm off again, stress I could do without. What are my rights and how do I go about getting the help I feel I really need? Any assistance or recommendations would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks, Sandi

Unbeliever

So sory for readofall your poblems Sandii1, Fom my experience of hospitals I think it very likely that they have not forgotten you but that you will soon hear about an appointment but if you don't hear soonish I should contact them again .

There is nothing worse than not knowing rto turn or that "banging your head against a brick wall "feeling.. No wonder you are feeling desperate.
What if you tell your employer that your present absence is a blessing in disguise as now you are going to get more appropiate treatment which will mean much better attendance in future?
Its a sad thing that when you are ill and less able to cope there is the necessity to "fight your corner" too. But it may well be worth it. I would ry to make sure that the hospital follow though with the promise to take over you care and also show your employer that you are determined to improve your attendance. I don't suppose that they are able to see a connection between short absences from different causes. Maybe you could point out that they were all conneced to poor management of your diabetes in the past but that this is all set to change.
I hope that this is the case and that you manage to sort it all out soon. Sometimes there are vey simple solutions if you manage to get to the right person for help.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
im so sorry to hear ur story we have fought for 5 years to get dylans diabetes under control but like u no matter what we did his bloods averaged in the 20 to 30s it was very frustrating as it wasnt through lack of trying, his insulins were changed and rechanged until id had enough and asked that he be considered for a pump and after a year of fighting we got one and now his bloods arent perfect but they average around 10 so loads better. now this might not be the option for u but what im getting at is that there is an option for everyone its just finding it and sometimes fighting for it dont let the hospital forget u keep on to them if u dont hear anything soon.

i hope u manage to get something sorted, do u carb count if u dont ask about it that helped us no end and gave us a better insight into diabetes and what makes our blood sugars rise its a good place to start if u dont already do it

anna marie