Ketogenic eating and [lack of] body odour?

M

Member496333

Has anyone else noticed a reduction in “BO” when eating a grainless, real food ketogenic diet? I hardly need to bother with underarm deodorant anymore.

So for me that’s easy tanning and resistance to burn, forty years of hayfever completely disappeared, and now also armpits that smell of roses. Quite remarkable.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jim, are you sure that you aren’t attracted to your own scent? My bf is trying keto but I think he smells about the same - you are what you eat, right?
As for tanning, nope he turns bright tomato due to his pale Scottish complexion.
Indeed remarkable :)

Maybe someone else can shed more light on the upgraded BO scent. I of course agree that changes in dietary requirements does have an impact on skin, hair, scent and inner body works.

Reactions: kitedoc and Prem51
M

Member496333

I am sure someone else started a thread about this fairly recently, but can't for the life of me remember who or when. Was it you? Or was it someone else?

A thread was started recently regarding body odour but not in relation to ketogenic eating, and I commented that I didn’t want to derail but that I had intended to post a related topic. I didn’t get around to doing so until now. It was possibly a couple of weeks back.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been keto a while, so no new rose-scented revelations.

But goodness, I notice a difference when/if I stray into carby food, alcohol or processed food eating again.
Significant changes - and not for the better!

Mosquitos and other bitey buzzy things also seem to ignore me when strict keto, but move in to feast if I am tempted off the straight and narrow.

My skin's ability to tan transformed when I started getting enough Vit D3.
But not sure that was to do with keto, or just that I wised up about Vit D3 and K2 and started supplementing at the same time.
I went from pasty lobster non-tanner, to someone who now turns pale brown without the red stage.
A great improvement!
(although I still use sun factor, it doesn't have to be SPF 50+ 24/7 any more. lol)

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed
M

Member496333

But goodness, I notice a difference when/if I stray into carby food, alcohol or processed food eating again.

Mosquitos and other bitey buzzy things also seem to ignore me when strict keto, but move in to feast if I am tempted off the straight and narrow.

Interesting regarding the mosquitos. Hate those little blighters. Thankfully not something we generally need to worry about in the UK, but I’m sure I’ll notice whether or not they are perturbed from having a nibble next time I’m in a hot and humid climate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Another interesting question @Jim Lahey !
Certainly noted tanning increased and mozzies seemed less interested in me during summertime.
Body scent - no feedback yet. I may have to perspire more !!
Maybe i need to try eating apple or rose-scented pork or rosemary-scented beef!!
Just joking!!!
Still too subjective to be absolutely definitive. And better chance to test this when summer arrives again in the Southern Hemisphere!

Reactions: Member496333
D

Deleted Account

Hey @Jim Lahey that is interesting.

Have you noticed any difference during intensive exercise?
This is when I tend to sweat more so more aware of any personal aroma so it could be motivation to adjust my diet.

And just to be cheeky, I have to ask if roses are low carb ... to carry on the comments about smelling what you eat, you could be eating roses :)

M

Member496333

Hey @Jim Lahey that is interesting.

Have you noticed any difference during intensive exercise?
This is when I tend to sweat more so more aware of any personal aroma so it could be motivation to adjust my diet.

And just to be cheeky, I have to ask if roses are low carb ... to carry on the comments about smelling what you eat, you could be eating roses :)

I still sweat, of course, but not particularly underarm, and no odour even if I miss a shower and I’m not using underarm deodorant.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

My skin's ability to tan transformed when I started getting enough Vit D3.
But not sure that was to do with keto, or just that I wised up about Vit D3 and K2 and started supplementing at the same time.
I went from pasty lobster non-tanner, to someone who now turns pale brown without the red stage.
A great improvement!
(although I still use sun factor, it doesn't have to be SPF 50+ 24/7 any more. lol)

They don't call them Miss-ketos for nothing. (My husband's humor)

Reactions: Brunneria

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@helensaramay
Reminds me of the cartoon where the mother cow is saying to her calf: "Remember in life to always eat the roses".

Reactions: Kim Possible

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No difference here. Same requirements for soap and other toiletries and still have hideous hayfever. And I still turn to ash if I go out in the sun.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,

A few posts have been deleted from this thread for derailing and sarcastic responses.

Contributions from all members are welcome, whatever their diabetes type and eating habits, provided they are on topic, polite, and not intended to derail the thread. If more such posts appear, they will be deleted too.

M

Member496333

No difference here. Same requirements for soap and other toiletries and still have hideous hayfever. And I still turn to ash if I go out in the sun.

Funny you should mention soap. Besides activities such as washing hands after using the bathroom, and before preparing food, I don’t really use soap. Having a shower I will use a little on my pits & bits, but otherwise I just use warm water au naturel. No soap or shampoo ever goes near my head. Not that I need any shampoo though :hilarious:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Member496333

So yeah, I know you’re all dying for an update.

I last had a shower before bed last night. Didn’t use any deodorant afterwards. Today I’ve been spamming the forum in the warm sun, sweating on a sun lounger. Done some walking, and a sweaty session of heavy weights. Armpits still smell of roses. For me, this is most certainly another positive aspect of ketogenic eating.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So yeah, I know you’re all dying for an update.

I last had a shower before bed last night. Didn’t use any deodorant afterwards. Today I’ve been spamming the forum in the warm sun, sweating on a sun lounger. Done some walking, and a sweaty session of heavy weights. Armpits still smell of roses. For me, this is most certainly another positive aspect of ketogenic eating.
Or you may be suffering from Anosmia.

DawnOfTheZed

I notice increase BO strong smell during or after emergency incidents - I think the adrenalin ramped up insulin? Lots of people were ravenous for carbs too, and after protracted incidence response, several had to go on a diet after going back to their day jobs. So I think adrenalin increased insulin, which increased hunger for carbs, vicious cycle of satisfying hunger with carbs leading to insulin levels staying up, etc, and increased fat storage.

Not surprised that someone has noticed the other way.

DawnOfTheZed

I noticed an increase BO strong smell all around and me during or after emergency incidents - I think the adrenalin ramped up insulin? Lots of people were ravenous for carbs too, and after protracted incidence response, several had to go on a diet after going back to their day jobs. So I think adrenalin increased insulin, which increased hunger for carbs, vicious cycle of satisfying hunger with carbs leading to insulin levels staying up, etc, and increased fat storage.

Not surprised that someone has noticed the other way.

EvafromSussex

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone else noticed a reduction in “BO” when eating a grainless, real food ketogenic diet? I hardly need to bother with underarm deodorant anymore.

So for me that’s easy tanning and resistance to burn, forty years of hayfever completely disappeared, and now also armpits that smell of roses. Quite remarkable.

Hi Jim, the same here when I went full carnivore. I sweated, yes, very much so, but sweat was unscented. I also felt that my teeth felt cleaner, gums stopped bleeding completely, and my breath was fresh/odourless.

As our sweat smell is produced by bacteria, then very interesting question is: do bacteria on our skin changes in composition (do different bacteria start to predominate?), or is the composition of sweat changed, so the same bacteria produces less olfactory potent molecules.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy