Ketone and BG meters

donnamum

Does anyone know of a meter that will test for for ketones and blood glucose in one go.

Just had leaflet to say need to test bg before PE, which we always do. If above 14 need to test Ketones. If she could do it all in one its would be alot easier than having to test twice and mess around with two meters, and of course it would mean only having to prick finger once.

Donna

DiabeticGeek

donnamum said:
Ideally i'm after meter that can test both BG and ketones with one test strip.
I might be wrong, but I don't think it would be very easy to make a single strip that does both - the chemistry is different. If such a thing were made it would be a complex, high-tech device (and strip) and thus, no doubt, expensive.

Ketones are usually checked in urine rather than blood, using a simple dip stick that is much cheaper than BG test strips. For example, Pharmacy2U sells Ketur-Test strips for £3.95 for 50.

donnamum

Thanks for replys. The school would never agree to her doing urine tests.

I was just hoping I could reduce the number of times she needed to prick finger, and the time taken so she doesn't miss most of PE lesson

Hope you are all well

DiabeticGeek

donnamum said:
That sounds bizarre, why not? They can't stop her going to the toilet - what is it to them if she takes a strip with her?!

Geoff

Re: Ketone t and BG meters

Without sounding to controversial and condescending, also not knowing your daughters circumstances, the real issue here is that prolonged exposure to ketone development is poor diabetic control.

Why do you think it is a necessary daily need to have to test for ketones? It is normal practice to test when people are unwell, but not on a day to day basis. Surely concentrating on a better blood glucose control and adjusting carb and insulin needs on days when she has PE would be a better strategy for the long term.

This quote is from a Open University DTC course.

Monitoring ketone levels
In people with diabetes, ketones are a sign of very poor diabetes control. People with Type 1 diabetes can obtain ketone testing strips on prescription from their GPs. It is useful to have a supply available to test for ketones during periods of illness, when people may be more likely to develop DKA. By frequently testing the blood glucose and ketones, the person may be able to make decisions about adjustments to their insulin dose to avoid hospitalisation with DKA,

Nellie

Geoff, I think that its the question of exercise high BS and ketones ie dangerous combination)
Holly is being asked to check for ketones ' If above 14'. This may not happen frequently but she has to be prepared just in case.
My doctor has given me the same instructions, for before exercise as with Holly and as a matter of course for am readings (just in case there has been a pump malfunction, a bit bib and braces?!).

Geoff

Hello Nellie, thank you for you explanation, but as I said earlier, the real issue is maintaining high blood glucose levels which promote ketone development. The ideal situation is to maintain as near normal bs levels and load up with extra carbs if needed, prior to exercise.

I am aware that children can have greater swings in their bs readings throughout the day, as they depending on their age and how much of their self management of their diabetes they do, will bother to test their bs, which can lead to problems of good control. But regarding exercise no one including children should exercise for any period of time, when their bs rises above 12.0mmol/lt, as this can have a detrimental effect on their health. So to be told to check for ketones at 14.0mmol/lt is already to late, which returns to my statement, that good management of your diabetes is better than daily checking ketones as part of normal management.

lionrampant

donnamum said:

I was just hoping I could reduce the number of times she needed to prick finger, and the time taken so she doesn't miss most of PE lesson

Hope you are all well

Pardon my language but what business is it of theirs if she nips into the little girls room (which I'm assuming her P.E changing room has) and pisses on a test strip?

These people infuriate me.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Donnamum,

The Optium Xceed monitor tests both blood glucose and ketones. It uses different strips but we manage to test both with just one finger prick by getting the strips out of their foil and ready to swop one for the other - as soon as the bg reading is done, quickly whip out that strip and stick in the ketone one whilst urging 'Keep squeezing, keep squeezing!'. It usually works!! :)

The Optium Xceed will prompt you to to test for ketones above 16.9, but I guess you should test as you've been told to.

Geoff, reagrding your comment about good bg control avoiding the need to test for ketones, I would say that of course this is desirable, but not always reliably achievable, especially in children and adolescents going through puberty.

Both my daughters' bg levels can swing very quickly and widely, despite our best efforts and regular testing. On an average school day at least 6-8 tests are done. When on the insulin pump (both my girls are) it is essential to test often because as they have no long acting insulin in their systems they can become ketotic very quickly indeed. That's why Nellie has been told to test in the mornings if bg readings are high, in case there has been a pump problem overnight. Not all problems cause the pump to alarm unfortunately.

We have also been told to do blood ketone testing rather than urine, as it give a more accurate picture of the current situation rather than urine testing strips which tell you what was happening some hours ago.
Best wishes
Sue

donnamum

To diabetesmum

Could you give me details of Optium Xceed blood glucose test strips. I have that meter. Tried to get test stips on prescription today. Receptionist wouldn't let me have prescription as I hadn't had them before. Explained situation. SHe wouldn't request presciption unless I had an empty stip box for to get details from. Explained that we hadn't used them before which is why there not on repeat prescription list. I might as well spoken a foreign language. Some people are power mad.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
Don't get me started on Dr's receptionists!! :evil:

The box says 'Optium Plus' Blood Glucose Testing Strips. Made by Abbott, come in boxes of 50, for the Optium Xceed.

The blood ketone strips come in boxes of 10. The box says 'Optium B-Ketone Test Strips'. The 'B' is the Greek style 'B', that is 'beta'.

Apparently the ketone test strips are a lot more expensive than the glucose testing ones, a box of 10 costs about the same as a box of 50 of the bg ones, so you may find they won't prescribe you more than a couple of boxes (ie 20 strips) at a time.

Good luck with the Dr - if they won't play ball, maybe you could get one of your diabetes nurses to phone or fax the surgery for you - I have done that in the past.
Sue

donnamum

Thanx will go yo GP's on monday so wish me luck.

On Friday the pharmasist rang Doctors to give details of keto urine strips.. SHe told receptionsist she would give me a box if the presription clerk could sent a presciption early next week to cover it. SHe said no. When asked why she said she was worried about the amount of items I have on presciption for daughter.

This was the final straw they have refused to give me presciptions before and refused daughter appoinments. Managing diabetes is time consuming enough without the stress of a jumped up receptionist.Watch this space going to ask for meeting with the surgery manager.

lionrampant

Ah receptionists - the ones who weren't smart enough to make it into a good medical course and take it out on everyone else.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Always go to the organ grinder not the monkey!! :evil: These jumped up receptionists are just ....annoying!!If I need a new script I go to the doctor and make sure it's entered on their computer system(if they've got one) so that the next time the receptionist can't argue.

donnamum

Sorry for delay n responce. After three visits and a telephone call from pharmasist got test strips. Now started battle over urine keto test strips, but that will have to wait until september to continue as i'm not planning to go back until after children return to school.

Three children and a doctors receptionist in one room is far too much to cope with.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Many years ago,about 25, my then toddler had earache, I called the surgery for an appointment and was asked if it were an emergency. I said "If it were, I'd be calling 999 and not chatting to you. However a toddler with earache NEEDS to be seen today. " I got the appointment I reported the conversation to the doctor and never again was I asked if I had an emergency. The doctors retrained the receptionists. The team they have there today, consists of a group of helpful intelligent people. They've been known to scour their database to find me the best appointment time. Shows how well a practice can do if the senior doctor (my lovely GP ) cares enought to organise priorities. Don't let receptionists get away with "over the phone diagnoses". Report them to the doctor.