1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Ketones in urine—new to keto

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by lcarter, Sep 19, 2021.

1. lcarter

lcarter Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi guys!

Just wondered, I’m on day 3 of trying to lower my carbs to keto level (20g or under)

Does this test result mean I’m in ketosis does anyone know?

Thanks
    IMG_3782.jpg

2. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes it does but be aware urine strips are not particularly accurate and the level in your pee can drop off a cliff after your body becomes more efficient at using ketones for fuel. They’re a good indicator for a first test but if you intend to monitor long term then you’ll need a blood ketone meter. I have one but no longer buy strips for the simple reason that if I wasn’t in ketosis I’d be dead by now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. lcarter

lcarter Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have a blood ketone machine I just need testing strips. I have some but they are out of date. So it’s good to be in this state? I’m still wary of having ketones in my blood or urine.

4. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Moderate level of ketones in the blood is fine so long as glucose is normal. Don’t go chasing numbers. Nutritional ketosis is perfectly safe in and of itself but there are circumstances where it can become dangerous when accompanied by hyperglycaemia or with certain drug interactions. User beware.

5. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think that may go down once your body starts to actually burn the ketones. May turn into keto breath. My experience anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook