Ketones, Insulin and Low-Carb

Mileana

Hi all,

Low carb and ultra low carb and stuff - in combination with insulin.

I have been doing moderate-low (75g day) carb conscious eating for about 4 weeks now.

However, I have a problem with my mood and wanted to try ketogenic diet for that reason - or at least low enough to see if it would keep me more stable. In fact, I'm bipolar. I wanted to see if the results that can be got for co-morbid illnesses such as epilepsy (which I don't have). But basically I am curious and want to see if it works.

However, as I am on insulin, I am used to worrying a bit about ketones. I can accept that trace or small amounts of ketones are not bad - they mean I am fueling most of my activities from fat. Exactly as planned.

However, when I measure medium and large amounts of ketones, I will feel exceedingly rubbish - nausea, headache, stomach pains, panting. I suppose this indicates some level of acidosis.

I may be daft, but I'm not stupid, so I add just enough sugar to the equation (along with 6 or more pints of water in a day) to keep my well-being and ketones where I want them.

I have omited my bolus (apart from mornings where my insulin resistance is highest) and my basal is reduced permanently by about 30 percent - my readings at this point with these doses is 4.2-6.3, so it is definately not ketoacidosis as in high blood sugar/high ketones/dehydration, but I am getting the same kind of symptoms unless I control it carefully.

Any advice, pointers, hints? I seriously feel that ketones around the dark purple mark are making me sick and struggling to breathe.

Type 2/1.5 so the insulin reduction should not be an issue as long as the readings are fine.

My daily carb intake planned is around 30g, with the additional 5g a few times thrown in to stop above 'over-ketosis'. I will be in ketosis still after that - have not been out of that for 3 days now that I have noticed.