ketones present

carob29

Hi all, I'm in need of a bit of advice...My 13 year old Daughter hasn't been doing her insulin properly (again) and is not very well tonight, her bg was hi and we tested for ketones and they are at 4.9.:shock: so i'm in two minds here as in the past 8 months we have been to a&e twice and both times she has been admited for all to happen is them checking her b.m's and given her insulin to bring them down and send her home the next day. i have a partner who is currenly using a crutch to get around as he has torn is ligaments in his foot, two other younger daughters and a dog!!! they couldn't manage if i had to sit in hosp for such a long period of time with my daughter. Has anyone else been in this situation? Please don't think i don't care if thats how i come across but i would hate to stress everyone out at home if the nurses are only going to do what i can do at home.

Diagnosed Nov 2008, currently using humlin s and levemer.

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
You really news to give her insulin quickly. Ketones above 3 should justify a visit to hospital as that is dangerously high. I don't know how humulin s works as I use humalog. Do you ever use correction doses? For example I know that one unit will bring me down by 3mmol. Hi represents being above 30. You need to keep injecting and keep testing, her glucose levels should come down with insulin but the ketones may take a day or more to go away. I hope someone comes along soon who an help more. X

carob29

she gave herself 20 units, at 9.20pm bm's down to 18 and keytones are down to 1.3, think we're out the woods!!! but she so needs to look after herself!!!! godknows what damage she is doing to herself!! her periods have stopped (4 months ago) she not preg as doc's done a pg test and it is negative. what a struggle :( thanks so much for replying xx

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
You've posted on here about your daughter before haven't you. What a struggle for you both hey. I'm trying to imagin what kind of thing would make me take responsibility for injecting and testing at her age and the thing that came to mind would be, print out research of what uncontrolled diabetes complications and also include the sucsess storys from people that live controlled healthy fulfilling lives as then say it's up to you, it's your body and your future, if you want to live like that, visiting hospital, carry on the way your going, its your diabetes and only you can look after yourself. Or the nicely nicely way of saying if you act like an adult and look after yourself then you can have adult treats, that would have done it for me!! To be allowed out later, to have make up or my nails done or to be taken shopping! I know it's bribery but if it works! I hope it gets easier for you both as it must be tiring.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This must be so stressful and difficult for you, your family and your daughter - teenagers are a breed all their own aren't they :?

I wondered if she would maybe benefit from some different outside help other than the hospital/GP- have you considered getting her a referral to CAMHS? - They may do some cognitive behaviour therapy with her to understand why she won't take her insulin and not just tell her she must take it because! - we all know that's a teenagers nemesis :lol:

I have had some experience with them with my son (not diabetes related) and it has been hugely successful. you have to have a medical referral - e.g.) from your GP or consultant and you may wait a while but it is a good service. I have posted the link to their website below in case you are interested.

Teens have a real tough time - they hate to be different and at 13 with all those raging hormones and a condition that they feel makes them stand out it is no wonder they rebel sometimes- good luck with everything :D

http://www.camh.org.uk/

carob29

Hi again

I had a look at the cahm link you provided but i think it is all based in england, we are trying to get her doc to refer her for some counselling, we are at our wits end with her, it is now coming between her father and i, the arguments in our house right now are unreal!! She steals any money she can get her hands on, she goes into our bedroom and takes what she wants no questions asked, she smashed my car windscrren and made it impossible for us to go away this summer over to ireland with my partners parents, She just lies about everything all of the time, she is so nasty to her younger sisters too!! On an up note we did spend a pleasant hour at the beach today before she hot tailed it off with her friends, it is truly heart breaking how she behaves as i know there is my beautifull polite happy little girl in there somewere, i just hope we get some help before she does something that will ruin her completely. :?

hismom

hi,
it is really hard. I think though you need to look why this is happening. Is it teenage behaviour or is it since she was diagnosied? We have had it a little bit but not too bad. From your daughters point she is having to give up a lot of things in her life. She may also feel that she doesnt have much going for her. Try and find something that she enjoyed but has perhaps stopped doing . We had it with our son he has been into performing for as long as I can remember but when he became diabetic he thought it was over. It is only recently that he realises that he can still do it but needs to make sure on busy days he needs to watch his levels more. At her age a lot of children run off the rails for a while anyway you need to find a way to reach her without it seeing like nagging. I wish you a the luck with it.

steph