Ketones???

mdsremos

Hi, I'm 14 weeks and this is my second pregnancy with GD. I started checking my levels on Tuesday 22nd Dec and started immediately on insulin Christmas Eve as levels were average 12 an hour after meals. I started 2 units nova rapid before meals and if finding the levels still high then to increase to 3 units....increased to 3 on Christmas Day.
This time I've been given advise to check my ketones if any result is above ten and if detected to contact the labour ward. Last night after tea I got a 12.2 reading, used a ketostix and got a plus 2 bordering plus 3!!! I rang the labour ward who weren't interested as it wasn't an obstetrics problem (I'm not pregnant enough to warrant them Getting involved I a medicL problem) so told to contact GP out of hours service. They were concerned and told me to go to A&E as they could book me in quicker to see the medical team as a probable admission case. Got to A&E last night with an 8 hour wait just to be seen by an A&E Dr then needing to be transferred to the care of the ward doctors if needed....an absolute farce! Was left in the waiting room for 4 hours with no additional checks other than basic observations on arrival and told I would just have to wait to be seen, I was in tears at this stage as didn't know the implications for the baby.
Ended up googling ketones, monitoring my BG with my own machine in the waiting room which was slowly coming down and left the department 4.5hrs later having decided it couldn't be that bad if no one was concerned and I was only there as per the diabetic nurse who instructed me on Christmas Eve.
By the time I arrived home 5 hours later, my ketones had reduced to a trace, my BG was more acceptable at 8 before bed and all okay today although I have made the decision due to my post meal results to increase to 4 units of nova rapid and my levels are more acceptable today....don't care if the nurses tell me off when I ring them on Monday as I made the decision to adjust according to my situation and I feel I've been left with no support over he Christmas holidays/weekend.
Any advice on ketones would be gratefully appreciated......

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)