Ketostix confusion!

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys I've posted about this before and I've read other posts but I just need someone to explain to me in simple terms what the colours mean, the plus signs and the numbers mean?

I used to have to blood test ketone strips and they were awesome and so simple... Pop a bit of blood on and wait for the number to arrive! but have run out at the mo hence why am using urine sticks!

I tested earlier and sugars were high so tested for ketones and the colour was a dark red which according to the chart and instruction leaflet means "moderate" and has 2 plus signs above the number which was 4mmol. I felt completely fine, no sickness or headache or even thirst so I took insulin and now 2 hours later they are back to normal 9.4.

Can anyone make sense to me as I'm at a complete loss as the internet isn't particularly helpful either on this!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys I've posted about this before and I've read other posts but I just need someone to explain to me in simple terms what the colours mean, the plus signs and the numbers mean?

I used to have to blood test ketone strips and they were awesome and so simple... Pop a bit of blood on and wait for the number to arrive! but have run out at the mo hence why am using urine sticks!

I tested earlier and sugars were high so tested for ketones and the colour was a dark red which according to the chart and instruction leaflet means "moderate" and has 2 plus signs above the number which was 4mmol. I felt completely fine, no sickness or headache or even thirst so I took insulin and now 2 hours later they are back to normal 9.4.

Can anyone make sense to me as I'm at a complete loss as the internet isn't particularly helpful either on this!

Ketostix are not really so accurate and can be a few hours behind. It also depends how hydrated you are. I've had 4mmol ++ on ketostix and yet only 0.8 on Optium ketone strips when I cross checked.

Edit to say: 4mmol ++ would equate to 4.0 on you blood meter (quite high)