Kidney check up surprise

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I just had my kidney check up today and got a bit of a surprise. I've been in stage 3 CKD for 3 years now and had results that put me at stage 4 (28% function) for a while, before returning to stage 3 again (35% function), where I am at present. I've been accepted on the kidney/pancreas transplant list but am off the list again, due to the better results.
I saw a different registrar today who told me that I no longer need to visit the clinic, as my results are stable! Yet each time I've seen the proper consultants over the last 3 years they have stressed the importance of regular visits and tests, as they predict that the steady results could drop at any time. I argued that her opinion seemed to be totally different to that of the consultants' and she told me it was down to a "change of policy". I called it penny-pinching and she closed my files, gave me a 6 month appointment date and that was that!!
I'll see the consultant next time...

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I am also stage 4CKD and for the past 2 years been checked every 3-4 months if I didnt chase them they would fob off/delay by a month each visit (only corrected by consultant herself). last time the serial fobbing has continued as the consultant has left!! (Hosp still not admitted this) and now stil not given a new appointment. Great service eh!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Stage 111 Kidney disease isn't all that serious and with careful control of blood glucose and blood pressure, it needn't get any worse.
hana

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My concern is that my results HAVE been worse in the past and the consultant is not sure of the reason for the improved results. My view is that, although I can keep my blood pressure and diabetes under control, the fluctuating kidney performance results are not "stable" and the whole situation needs monitoring. The registrar also told me that my kidney output will be fine for another "decade" but couldn't explain what that prediction was based on, other than past results.
I am a firm believer in continuity of care and that everyone should have the option to be seen by the same doctor each time. Previous experiences of different doctors enforcing different ideas have led to me having my treatment and medication changed at almost every visit, which has not been beneficial to me, the patient.