Kidney Function and LCHF

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty, rude people
Does anyone have issues with kidney function and still successfully follow the LCHF regime? Although I am not being treated as such!, i.e. dialysis, I've been told my kidneys do not work at full capacity and have deteriorated significantly over the last couple of years. I am a little worried about what I have read about ketosis affecting the kidneys. Is it just a case of drinking lots of water? Should I take the issue up with my gp or renal consultant?

Reactions: 2 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I've followed a ketogenic diet for around 2 years or so and I too have CKD and take Ramipril daily,My eGFR level has improved slightly on this diet,all I would add is don't go mad with eating protein and concentrate more on getting your calorific needs from fats and veggies etc.

Reactions: 4 people

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for this advice. I have only been on the LCHF diet for 2 days so far. Already my blood sugars have stabilised so that's a good start. So far my diet has consisted of eggs, bacon, burgers, broth, cheese, double cream, nuts and berries. I dont feel at all hungry most of the time. Of course its too early to tell if there is any weight loss.
So far I have not had any negative feedback re this diet although I saw my dietician yesterday and she wouldn't endorse it

Reactions: 6 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for this advice. I have only been on the LCHF diet for 2 days so far. Already my blood sugars have stabilised so that's a good start. So far my diet has consisted of eggs, bacon, burgers, broth, cheese, double cream, nuts and berries. I dont feel at all hungry most of the time. Of course its too early to tell if there is any weight loss.
So far I have not had any negative feedback re this diet although I saw my dietician yesterday and she wouldn't endorse it

There is a fair amount of protein in cheese, burgers, and nuts.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If I recall @FergusCrawford experienced an improvement in his CKD, whilst on such an eating regime.

@FergusCrawford - Looking at your profile, I might have made that bit up, so apologies if that's the case. If I have, do you know who I might have got you confused with?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
If I recall @FergusCrawford experienced an improvement in his CKD, whilst on such an eating regime.

@FergusCrawford - Looking at your profile, I might have made that bit up, so apologies if that's the case. If I have, do you know who I might have got you confused with?

I 'Believe' he did too and also @Dillinger too if I remember right.

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
S

Sounds encouraging. I'm just a worry wart about everthing

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
My kidney function is stable and the GFR is stated as being 'normal' which is a bit annoying as they used to give a figure. I take lisinopril though. The key thing is that poor blood sugar control will damage your kidneys not eating normal amounts of protein.

Best

Dillinger

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you. That's a weight off my mind

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
google ckd mice and ketogenic, they did some trials and it turned it around in mice... http://www.livescience.com/35630-ketogenic-diet-reverses-mice-kidney-disease.html
count your protein, I would go medium 11-15% as protein makes CKD worse, as per google
ketogenic is 20-40g a day of carb and 40g protein for kidney = a lot of fat/oil to make up your calories, you want to research and make sure you are getting balanced healthy fats

Last edited by a moderator:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods

Guilty as charged:cool:
On
LOWER carbs
LOWER/MED protein
HIGHER fat.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Could you give me an idea of what types of food you would eat which are high in fat.
Thanks
Nuts, Whole yoghurt, whole milk, don't trim fat from meat, avocado,real mayonnaise butter(not Marg) nut oils in dressings.
I don't load with fats, I just don't remove them!

Reactions: 10 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
LCHF should be fine but watch the protein, as others have said. The only evidence that high dietary protein causes kidney problems (a common anti-Atkins scare story) is for people with pre-existing kidney problems, as you have. But go high fat and you should be fine.

Reactions: 3 people

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ol
Nuts, Whole yoghurt, whole milk, don't trim fat from meat, avocado,real mayonnaise butter(not Marg) nut oils in dressings.
I don't load with fats, I just don't remove them!
Ok thanks for that. That's helpful

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
LCHF should be fine but watch the protein, as others have said. The only evidence that high dietary protein causes kidney problems (a common anti-Atkins scare story) is for people with pre-existing kidney problems, as you have. But go high fat and you should be fine.
Ok I'll watch the meat consumption then. I love eggs but better be careful with those too

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dillinger wrote, "the GFR is stated as being 'normal' which is a bit annoying as they used to give a figure."

There is a calculator for eGFR here, on the Renal Association website, http://egfrcalc.renal.org, as long as you know your creatinine levels.

I think they don't generally give a number these days because eGFR is one of those "add the number you first thought of" things, based on race, age etc.
The following explains the results, particularly note the use of the word AND at Stage 2, which is why results may say, simply, "above 60".

Stage of Chronic Kidney Disease

eGFR ml/min/1.73 m

Stage 1: the eGFR shows normal kidney function but you are already known to have some kidney damage or disease. For example, you may have some protein or blood in your urine, an abnormality of your kidney, kidney inflammation, etc.

90 or more

Stage 2: mildly reduced kidney function AND you are already known to have some kidney damage or disease. People with an eGFR of 60-89 without any known kidney damage or disease are not considered to have chronic kidney disease (CKD).

60 to 89

Stage 3: moderately reduced kidney function. (With or without a known kidney disease. For example, an elderly person with ageing kidneys may have reduced kidney function without a specific known kidney disease.)

45 to 59 (3A)

30 to 44 (3B)

Stage 4: severely reduced kidney function. (With or without known kidney disease.)

15 to 29

Stage 5: very severely reduced kidney function. This is sometimes called end-stage kidney failure or established renal failure.

Less than 15

Sally

edit: I don't think the bit I copied has come out in a very sensible layout, but the info is on the Renal Assoc. web site, so anyone who needs it can find it there.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
When I improved my T2D control with LCHF, my Dr said one of the health indicators they were watching was eGFR - it had been in the 60s for several years. After 6 1/2 years of LCHF it is still in the 60s.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My kidney function improved from GFR 67 to >90 whilst following LCHF. My doctor told me it might worsen. He was wrong. That's my experience, of course yours may well be different.

Reactions: 8 people