Kidney Readings

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I had my diabetes 6 monthly mot about 10 days ago. I was told, eventually, that my kidney readings had improved from 61 to 77. Anybody got any idea what this means? :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi gilly.

Do you know what the exact test was....blood, urine ? There are a number of these types of tests so you need to be a bit more specific ? All designed to reveal different things.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Sounds like eGFR (estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate) to me which at 77 is very good, also read as % kidney function. Mine went up from 40 to 52 over 6 months and I was doing backflips as a result. Especially as I had done nothing different except more rigorous bg control. Better than the slow road to transplant which was the alternative...

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
It was a blood test cugila. I have them every 6 months. The urine tests are good too. So they're good results kegstore...thanks for that. Need some good news for once. Just found out I've got Menieres diseas today.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi,

That's a good improvement - what they do is look at a couple of blood tests and your age/gender and ethnicity to give you the estimated globular filtration rate of your kidneys which is the rate at which they filter gunk out of you blood ('gunk' is a technical term there.... :) ).

This is a good link to a site which you can use to find your eGFR.

http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kdo ... ulator.cfm

But, on the assumption that the figure is your eGFR what you have been told is that you have mild decrease in normal Kidney function, so things are going in the right direction. Keep doing what you are doing, but more so!

All the best

Dillinger

gillyh

Dislikes
Thanks dillinger. Doctors and nurses never explain fully what they ar testing for even when you ask.