kidney stones and keto diet/carnivore diet

Drfarxan

Soooooo i had my monthly tests done my lipids and Hba1c(5.5% or 37 mmol)were were good. But in my urinalysis result there were red blood cells. There was also white blood cells which means it was probably UTI the cause of red blood cells in my urine. Last week i was on the road for 2 days and it was hard to find keto friendly diets. Had to eat more cards than usually,which i dealt with by using jardiance(glucose end up in the urine, i dont use jardiance as a treatment). So it makes sense UTI caused it because i was on the road and had glucose in my bladder .

But what about KIDNEY STONES!! maybe both my infection and red blood cells was because of kidney stones!! The only way to be sure is an ultrasound and maybe ill go do it. I am aware there is also a genetic component to kidney stones or gout.
It also got me thinking about kidney damage and keto or MY high protein high fat diet. Lately studies have shown that high protein diet does not cause kidney damage if your kidneys are normal(if i remember it correctly kid fx>30%,' could be wrong). My kindey func is very normal(GFR 124). My diet is high protein high fats and i also drink alot of coffee(stoped cause i thought it raised my BP but my high BP was because of my insomnia which makes me drink more coffee, vicious circle and all) which both strain the kidney. So maybe i have a reason to be concerned.

But the point of this thread
as usual is to find out first hand the experience of other users in this forum hence the detailed thread. I have learnt alot here and planing to continue to do so so we can all live better lives from learning for each other.

SO what is your experience with kidney stones\kidney disease afters years of using a keto or carnivore diet? what about gout?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just some stuff I learned from the interwebs, so don't ask me for sources because they were many and I have no clue where to start. Anyway... 80% of the people who get kidneystones, get oxalate-calcium stones. Oxalates are present in plants, they're part of their natural defence system.... For me, that meant that the olives and extra dark chocolate, the veggies, nuts and what have you, that I'd been eating on keto, and oh ye gods the tea has lots too, tripped me up... So I went full on carnivore, which was a relatively small step from my carnivore-with-a-few-additions. After I passed the last few stones I seem to be okay stone-wise, my kidneys are now clean, according to the CT scan. I just really miss my chocolate. (Honestly. I could weep.). If I have something plant-based, which doesn't happen often but can occur when someone gets my order wrong, I'll have some calcium in the form of dairy. Which sounds weird when I just mentioned oxalate-calcium stones, but if the calcium binds with the oxalates in your stomach, they exit the regular way.... If they connect in the kidneys however... So you want to head that off.

So yeah... If you're likely to be of the oxalate-calcium kidney stone persuasion, carnivore should help. Having acids as well, but I had too much which irritated my bladder, so careful with that. (With acids I mean putting apple cider vinegar in water, or lemon juice etc. Just don't overdo it. Bladders can get SO angry, and they heal slow. Ow.)

Good luck!
Jo

Drfarxan

Just some stuff I learned from the interwebs, so don't ask me for sources because they were many and I have no clue where to start. Anyway... 80% of the people who get kidneystones, get oxalate-calcium stones. Oxalates are present in plants, they're part of their natural defence system.... For me, that meant that the olives and extra dark chocolate, the veggies, nuts and what have you, that I'd been eating on keto, and oh ye gods the tea has lots too, tripped me up... So I went full on carnivore, which was a relatively small step from my carnivore-with-a-few-additions. After I passed the last few stones I seem to be okay stone-wise, my kidneys are now clean, according to the CT scan. I just really miss my chocolate. (Honestly. I could weep.). If I have something plant-based, which doesn't happen often but can occur when someone gets my order wrong, I'll have some calcium in the form of dairy. Which sounds weird when I just mentioned oxalate-calcium stones, but if the calcium binds with the oxalates in your stomach, they exit the regular way.... If they connect in the kidneys however... So you want to head that off.

So yeah... If you're likely to be of the oxalate-calcium kidney stone persuasion, carnivore should help. Having acids as well, but I had too much which irritated my bladder, so careful with that. (With acids I mean putting apple cider vinegar in water, or lemon juice etc. Just don't overdo it. Bladders can get SO angry, and they heal slow. Ow.)

Good luck!
Jo
Excellent info,especially since you turned the whole “meat=kidney stones” argument on its head. Thank you very informative and helpful

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Had multiple kidney stones while on LCHF diet, about 12 months into the diet, the hospital put it down to running as I tended to get episodes of extreme pain the days after 20+ mile runs, last stones clinic appointment I had them growing again but haven’t had any trouble for years, no longer do proper LCHF or running though.

Drfarxan

Had multiple kidney stones while on LCHF diet, about 12 months into the diet, the hospital put it down to running as I tended to get episodes of extreme pain the days after 20+ mile runs, last stones clinic appointment I had them growing again but haven’t had any trouble for years, no longer do proper LCHF or running though.
Interesting,you had no symptoms,ie pain before starting LCHF? Sounds like dehydration had a part to play too.
Are you on any diff diet now?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting,you had no symptoms,ie pain before starting LCHF? Sounds like dehydration had a part to play too.
Are you on any diff diet now?
Nothing before, it was almost like the long runs would loosen the stones, never thought it was the diet but would be hard to say, I now eat LC, just not as strictly, back then I ate 15-25 g a day, now it’s generally 50g a day I guess with the odd very high day, last evening for example, I had a hypo 3.0 and couldn’t stop eating digestives, think Cookie Monster, I ate about 15 biscuits, I would hate to know how many carbs, a night at bg 19 lol

Reactions: Drfarxan

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)

Good luck!
Jo
I just read drinking enough liquids, mainly water, heads off kidney stones (calcium oxalate). Also eating probiotics (yogurt, saurkraut etc.) Anyone eat that way instead of giving up all plant foods? I would not like to give mine up but if that's the only way to avoid stones, then I would give up plant foods??

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I just read drinking enough liquids, mainly water, heads off kidney stones (calcium oxalate). Also eating probiotics (yogurt, saurkraut etc.) Anyone eat that way instead of giving up all plant foods? I would not like to give mine up but if that's the only way to avoid stones, then I would give up plant foods??

My husband had calcium oxalate stones and did some research. The main things to do appear to be
1) drink plenty of water
2) avoid foods heavy in oxalates: spinach, rhubarb, yams and a few others.
3) restrict medium oxalate foods such as strawberries and chocolate (haven't been good at that).

We eat low carb but not keto or carnivore, so plenty of salad, and the only one I really miss is spinach (I sneak a few leaves into my salad occasionally).

Of course, there are other kinds of kidney stones, so this is only necessary if you are prone to the oxalate ones.
He hasn't had a recurrence but it's only been four years.

Usual disclaimer: not a doctor, this is what we found out when researching (and leaflet from hospital),

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I don't know but it just seems like more and more foods cause this or that, and what happens when everything turns out to be bad for us. I'm depressed :( I eat spinach a lot in my omelettes, I love strawberries as they are so low in carbs, I love walnuts, macadamias and pistachios and I think nuts are supposed to be bad too now o_O I'm so restricted now just on low-carb high fat, that when I went to a potluck bbq yesterday, and another today, there was nothing I could eat except meats, and some berries. So I ate just a small blob of fruits, and a potato casserole and my sugar spiked up to 139, or 7.7 something like that.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, I already had stones and wanted to be rid of them as soon as I could. And preferably, not get them back, because I was quite miserable. Also, I have a whole lot of other conditions which are helped by going carnivore. If you don't have to, to get the things you want sorted, sorted... Then why give anything up? Moderation could be just fine for you. I'm just an all-or-nothing person, I guess. ;)

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I thought I was all-or-nothing too, but there was more. I've found some other opinions to read about but then it's just a guessing game which article or video to believe, and studies too. Aren't kidney stones the ones that about kill you when they pass?? My brother had something and he said they were horrible but which type I can't remember. I'll ask him today. He's a vegetarian so I'm guessing same type we're talking about.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
here's one of my alternative medicine sites I go to on occasion. I do NOT go along with some of their suggestions, but some that seem safe I will try: https://www.earthclinic.com/cures/kidney_stones.html

Yes, I see now that the type my brother had were kidney stones ;(

Also wanted to attach this that I just, finished reading. Might help someone else:
kidney stones.PNG

Last edited: