Labour Manifesto. Diabetes.

Scardoc

Sad as I am, I have read through Labours manifesto (currently on Tories!).
Diabetes gets a mention as per below. Discuss.

"A greater emphasis on prevention and public health is essential, not just to
improve outcomes and tackle inequalities, but to ensure the NHS remains
sustainable. For example, 3.2 million people are currently diagnosed with
diabetes, and it is estimated that spending on treatment will rise from £10
billion to £17 billion a year over the next 25 years if action is not taken, such
as to reduce levels of obesity."

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder what they (the NHS) will do to reduce obesity? Advise having even more starchy carbs?

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Maddening - they haven't got a clue how to curb obesity... And not everyone is obese!!

Reactions: 2 people

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
It is up to us to lobby and advise our elected representatives. I knew very little about how to deal with diabetes prior to my diagnosis, I thought it was just about sugar. The education about controlling/preventing diabetes has to spread from us. I shall be writing to my MP after the election, also the health minister and shadow health minister. NHS is a devolved issue so I shall be contacting my MSPs as well. Throw enough mud at a wall and some of it will stick.

Reactions: 10 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It is up to us to lobby and advise our elected representatives. I knew very little about how to deal with diabetes prior to my diagnosis, I thought it was just about sugar. The education about controlling/preventing diabetes has to spread from us. I shall be writing to my MP after the election, also the health minister and shadow health minister. NHS is a devolved issue so I shall be contacting my MSPs as well. Throw enough mud at a wall and some of it will stick.

Good idea..

G

graj0

Sad as I am, I have read through Labour's manifesto (currently on Tories!).

Me too, your fault as well. LOL

It does go on to suggest that they will target high strength low cost alcohol and while I was looking at the differences in carb content for different alcoholic drinks I noticed that the drink aware people suggest that if you are going to drink make sure you eat lots of carbohydrate. So there's another organisation that needs to hear the word.

The manifesto then goes on to suggest that they will set maximum permitted levels of sugar, fat and salt in processed foods marketed to children. Add carbs to the list and make it for everyone, we might be getting there.

I wonder how we get the so called powers to be to realise that they haven't quite got the picture?

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can read about the master plan here.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us...l&utm_term=How+we+will+reduce+Type+2+diabetes »&utm_content=How+we+will+reduce+Type+2+diabetes »&utm_campaign=April+E-news+responsive+2015

It contains some enlightened comments like,

"implement a national evidence-based diabetes prevention programme"

This provokes the thought of what previous advice was based on ............and

“Yet for over a decade we've known that obesity prevention cuts diabetes and saves lives. If these results were from a pill we'd doubtless be popping it, but instead this programme succeeds by supporting people to lose weight, exercise and eat better. "

So sod you Thinnies eh. Still it's all your own fault. You knew full well that you deliberately made yourself thin so that you could be left out of this National Program.

Good Morning all. Off to see DN in a minute. Not grouchy at all today.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Me too, your fault as well. LOL

It does go on to suggest that they will target high strength low cost alcohol and while I was looking at the differences in carb content for different alcoholic drinks I noticed that the drink aware people suggest that if you are going to drink make sure you eat lots of carbohydrate. So there's another organisation that needs to hear the word.

The manifesto then goes on to suggest that they will set maximum permitted levels of sugar, fat and salt in processed foods marketed to children. Add carbs to the list and make it for everyone, we might be getting there.

I wonder how we get the so called powers to be to realise that they haven't quite got the picture?

Writing to them is a start, then writing again and....

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You can read about the master plan here.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us...l&utm_term=How+we+will+reduce+Type+2+diabetes »&utm_content=How+we+will+reduce+Type+2+diabetes »&utm_campaign=April+E-news+responsive+2015

It contains some enlightened comments like,

"implement a national evidence-based diabetes prevention programme"

This provokes the thought of what previous advice was based on ............and

“Yet for over a decade we've known that obesity prevention cuts diabetes and saves lives. If these results were from a pill we'd doubtless be popping it, but instead this programme succeeds by supporting people to lose weight, exercise and eat better. "

So sod you Thinnies eh. Still it's all your own fault. You knew full well that you deliberately made yourself thin so that you could be left out of this National Program.

Good Morning all. Off to see DN in a minute. Not grouchy at all today.

I have just been on the telephone to these people, the woman just read from a script which was full of 'CYA' (cover your a***). The revolution will have to wait another day. Good luck with your DN appt.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Remember they don't always stick to their manifesto's ;)

G

graj0

Writing to them is a start, then writing again and....
I know you're right, I'm just getting old, tired and possibly at the end of my tether. I think I'll look at methods of lobbying politicians using an online petition or something like that. Something you know they'll take notice of. All suggestions gratefully received. Getting a batman outfit and climbing cranes isn't on, I can't stand heights.

G

graj0

I think I'll look at methods of lobbying politicians using an online petition or something like that. Something you know they'll take notice of.

Fell at the first hurdle, e-petitions is closed because parliament closed at the end of March. I'll have to wait until after a new government is elected and cobbled together because nobody will have a decent majority.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I know you're right, I'm just getting old, tired and possibly at the end of my tether. I think I'll look at methods of lobbying politicians using an online petition or something like that. Something you know they'll take notice of. All suggestions gratefully received. Getting a batman outfit and climbing cranes isn't on, I can't stand heights.

That is a real shame about the Batman outfit, men in lycra can be so cute. ;)
I have been informed that MPs pay more attention to letters than petitions. A properly written letter demands a reply, if the reply is unsatisfactory, you write again. I do not know how many members we have on here but if 500 people signed an online petition, the MP have a petition. just the one petition. If however, 500 people wrote an individual letter, the MP has 500 letters to reply to and he starts to take notice, well he has to. By all mean look into online petitions, change.org is a good one, but a multi pronged attack is best.

G

graj0

If however, 500 people wrote an individual letter, the MP has 500 letters to reply to and he starts to take notice, well he has to. By all mean look into online petitions, change.org is a good one, but a multi pronged attack is best.

I've always felt that way, I think maybe, sometimes, perhaps, getting people to sign online petitions is easy, I've seen some really daft ones. Getting them to write a letter, although if they had a template. I'll keep thinking about it and hopefully do something.

Some days there seems to be too many things to get on top of.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe Theresa May (current/former Home Secretary) will join the forum as she has been diagnosed Type 1. Grist to the mill, perhaps?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Maybe Theresa May (current/former Home Secretary) will join the forum as she has been diagnosed Type 1. Grist to the mill, perhaps?
How did you find that out?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How did you find that out?

Theresa was initially diagnosed with type 2 but soon after was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, late last year she was featured in the DUK magazine Balance, you might be able to read the article on-line June_C.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I've just subscribed to the DUK magazine, so perhaps I'll be more clued up in future.