Lactase

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As if being diagnosed T1 and needing my tonsils removed wasn't enough for 1 year..... I'm now lactose intolerant!

Apparently it's mild so I've been told I can continue to eat small amounts (a little cheese on my pasta, small amount of milk to moisten cereal etc) but I should take the enzyme supplement lactase with it to help digestion. I was never a big milk lover, but I would hate to be giving up cheese! So this is seeming a fairly decent conpromise

Just wondering if anyone else takes it regularly?

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
There are some okay lactose free/reduced options (I actually found that I preferred the taste). Lactose Free cheese is quite nice (you should be able to pick it up from the super market) and tastes pretty much like normal cheese. My only advice would be never try the soya Cheese i.e. cheesley, Scheese etc. As for the lactase tablets I used to and my sister-in-law takes them but we are both have strong reactions to lactose, for us it lessened the problems but it didn't get completely rid of it.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the tip on soya cheese, I'll remember that one!

LittleWolf

I was never formally diagnosed with lactose intolerance but I've thrown up enough after having milk on my cereal or a spoon of ice cream to know.

It happened very suddenly, and I was in denial for a while... I can eat some yoghurts and cheese just fine (most of the lactose is broken down already) but one sip of milk and I'm sick. Come to think of it maybe the reason I'm either chronically constipated or the opposite might be down to the odd bit of cheese I do eat..

Anyway just wanted to let you know you're not alone. By the way, Swedish Glacé is a great dairy free ice cream. It's often cheaper and tastier than the real thing. Big tub for £2 in Tesco and the chocolate flavor is really good. Try it for a treat every so often X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Susiebabs

I am lactose intolerant and really suffered when on a low/no fat diet especially with fat free yogurts and skimmed milk. Now I'm eating low carb/high fat the problem is almost non existent (and of course as a plus my bloods are great too). Low fat products have WAAAAAY more lactose in them! You're better with smaller amounts of full fat dairy - though I avoid milk all together now and use double cream instead (watered down if necessary)! Yum!!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Susiebabs said:
I am lactose intolerant and really suffered when on a low/no fat diet especially with fat free yogurts and skimmed milk. Now I'm eating low carb/high fat the problem is almost non existent (and of course as a plus my bloods are great too). Low fat products have WAAAAAY more lactose in them! You're better with smaller amounts of full fat dairy - though I avoid milk all together now and use double cream instead (watered down if necessary)! Yum!!

I didn't realise low fat things had more lactose! I don't like milk generally, so skipping that isn't a problem. Just my love of cheese haha hopefully the lactase will work :)

LittleWolf

You'd be surprised at the random things they add lactose and whey powder to. If I eat cheap ham with a lot of filler I quickly feel very nauseous. Checked the label, found it had lactose added..

Be careful x

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Reading Littlewolf's reply I realised that I found lots of tablets/medicines have lactose added to them (for example some contraceptive pills and antibiotics). It's often used as a bulking agent.
So any tablet prescriptions (and even pain killers etc) you get it is a good idea to check the labels/ask someone. In my experience Doctors are not very good at knowing what is in tablets so I'd check with the pharmacist.
It is used in a suprising number of foods, like I said as a bulking agent, for example some crisps have it in.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Crazy isn't it! I've been taking the lactase and all fine so far...... I haven't had much dairy though haha

LittleWolf

OMG. I tend to feel sick or actually vomit when I take pills.
Mostly antibiotics and painkillers which I now refuse to take at all (codeine gave me internal bleeding) Maybe part of it was down to the lactose.

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I had an awful reaction to penecillin before I was diagnosed with lactose intolerance (They had lactose in them). I had a migrane for 48 hours, where I couldn't see/move/ stop being sick because of the pain. At the time I was told I was intolerant to penecillin but I think it might have been the lactose, just don't want to risk it again, over 10 years later and the memory is enough to put me off.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a difference between being lactose intolerant and being lactase non persistent.

Infants are born producing the enzyme lactase which allows milk to be digested. Humans stop producing lactase between the ages of 15 and 25 except those who have a genetic mutation. There are a few types but in northern europe it is one called 13910 C/T. However, not everyone has it, only about 80% in the UK so, whilst people could drink milk earlier, it suddenly stops for them. Don't feel bad about it. It's one of those odd situations where the minority are normal and the majority are mutants, usually called polymorphs when above 5% of the population.

Cheese however is another matter, it depends on what cheese. In most cheeses, the lactose is in the whey with none in in the curd. You can eat those. Just avoid those where cream is added back in.

You can get genetic tests to see if you have the 13910 C or 13910 T gene. The C varity means lactase production is non persistent and the T version means it is persistent. Lactose intolerance however can mean a variety of things, including an allergy. It's a catchall phrase with a wide scope. Some people can happily drink half a pint of milk whilst others get sick licking an ice cream.

If yu are interested, this paper is worth reading:

The evolution of lactase persistence in Europe. A synthesis of archaeological and genetic evidence

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/mace-lab/publicati ... J-2012.pdf

In the meantime, there is a list of the lactose content of various cheeses here:

http://www.stevecarper.com/li/list_of_l ... ntages.htm

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks yorksman, I'll have a read! I had a blood test for it, not sure about the exact outcome other than being told I'm "mildly lactose intolerant" and to try taking lactase! Didn't realise there was so much more to it than that

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hale710 said:
Thanks yorksman, I'll have a read! I had a blood test for it, not sure about the exact outcome other than being told I'm "mildly lactose intolerant" and to try taking lactase! Didn't realise there was so much more to it than that

Ah well if you are mildly lactose intolerant, it will be something other than the genetics. That is either on or off.

Have a look the the cheese list though. You will be OK with many:

http://www.stevecarper.com/li/list_of_l ... ntages.htm

Thankfully there are lots of alternatives to dairy products on the market these days. As with everything the key is to read the label and check calories/carbs/sugar. Almond milk is a delicious alternative to both cow's milk and soya ( can throw of estrogen balance) not to mention hemp milk ( rich in omega 3s which are essential for cell health) or rice milk. Most people stop producing lactase the enzyme which breaks down the sugar lactose at 2 years old! The body's response to not being able to digest the lactose is to produce mucus to protect the intestinal tract. The problem with this is it means our digestion is poor and we can't absorb the nutrients in our food. There is also vegetarian cheese BUT these can be high in sugar so again read the label!

tomersn

Lactase is an enzyme, is used to break down lactose, is edible.

And some complex carbohydrates can be used. If too much sugar like it.

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
My daughter is very lactose intollerant but although she does not drink milk she does eat cheese, butter and cream. We buy a pill called "No dairy" which is lactase and, having tried quite a few different brands, she finds this one very effective. She chews one before eating a meal with any lactose in it and it minimises the symptoms. We certainly notice the difference if she doesn't take one!

You can buy them online or from some health food shops but unfortunately not Holland and Barratt.

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
Sorry - was being stupid. Just looked at the lable and it is called "Say Yes to dairy"

Tesco's website blurb says "Say Yes to Dairy is a maximum strength digestive aid designed for temporary relief from the discomforts of lactose intolerance following dairy food consumption. Each chewable tablet supplies highly active lactase enzyme in a delicious French vanilla base. Even if you consume the healthiest diet imaginable, there can be no transfer of nutrients to the cells of your body unless food in the digestive tract is broken down properly. That requires the action of enzymes.Hypo-AllergenicContains No Yeast, Wheat, Corn, Soy, Milk or Salt"
Read more at http://www.tesco.com/direct/say-yes-to- ... 0smOME6.99

:)