Lada diagnosis

sofiap

I've been recently diagnosed with Lada but l still have my doubts about this...I had gestational diabetes treated with insoulin.After l've given birth my son (six months ago) my diabetes gone away.Unfortunately 2 months after delivery shown up again!!!!As metformin and after the combination solosa and eucreas didn't work (2 months period of time) l started levemir for about 2 months.Now l take only eucreas 50/1000 and l succed a good glycemic control.Recently l started exercise and l 've had even hypoglycemia incidents.I forgot to say that l had positive antiGADs(11.9, positive >5) but lAA negative.So l'm wondering is it possible to have type 2 diabetes or even better l'm still under the effect of pregnacy hormones and my diabetes will go?Or l'm stiIl on denial?l would be grateful if you tell me your opinion about my condition.It would really help me out...

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
sofiap said:
I've been recently diagnosed with Lada but l still have my doubts about this...I forgot to say that l had positive antiGADs(11.9, positive >5) but lAA negative.So l'm wondering is it possible to have type 2 diabetes or even better l'm still under the effect of pregnacy hormones and my diabetes will go?Or l'm stiIl on denial?l would be grateful if you tell me your opinion about my condition.It would really help me out...

Hi, I'm LADA. I can't comment on the gestational side though because I've never been pregnant. I'm sure someone will be able to add or indeed post to the Gestational section of the forum.

The IAA test tends me more predictive for childhood Type 1 Diabetes, the anti GAD for adults, in some cases both types of antibodies can be present in adults, but the anti GAD is specific to adults.

Generally, if antibodies are present, it means your Diabetes is the autoimmune version. There is also a form of Diabetes called double Diabetes, where you can have both the autoimmune but also insulin resistence (i.e LADA and Type 2). If you had a C-peptide test done also (which I would be surprised if you hadn't to be honest) then the C-peptide should be on the lower side i.e your Pancreas aren't producing enough insulin. This test along with the anti GAD should further conclude that you have Type 1 or slow onset Type 1 or Type 1.5 or LADA , different terms but are ALL the same thing for an adult with the autoimmune version of Diabetes.

For Type 2 the C-Peptide is likely to be high i.e the insulin is being produced to keep up with high glucose levels but the insulin isn't being used properly.

In both cases, Diabetes can't be cured (although some may argue the case for Type 2 pre-Diabetes), but ultimately it can be managed.

Hope this helps, post again if you need any support - we can't advise and everyone's Diabetes is unique to the individual but I'm a great believer in learning from shared experiences. :)

sofiap

Thank you very much for your quick reply.You've been very helpful!!Unfortunately my doctor actually doctors(l visited three) focus only in treatment and never in diagnosis.They keep on saying that the diagnosis is no matter(l insisted to have the andibodies tests),they only say"" sometime in future you will need insulin" and this freeks me out.I try myself to find out what it is and what to do to preserve my remmaining betta cells to function.I will have c-peptide examination as soon as possible(l've told them and they said that there is no use at this point but l'll insist this time).
l see that it took you almost a year to be diagnosed.Your diagnosis was based on positive anti-gad tests and low c-peptide?I would also to ask you about your treatment and diet.Do you have insouline?Because l've read that some doctors suggest insouline in early stages in order to preserve the remaining betta cells?
Thank you again about your reply because you somehow confirmed all the things that l 've read and was confused to my head!!

Philip60

Hi Sophiap, I was diagnosed LADA about 4 years ago at 47 after being told I was type 2 by my GP. I couldn't control my bg levels properly, and did a lot of research, finally persuading my GP to refer me for the anti-GAD and peptide tests. My test results were similar to yours, and my peptide result wasn't particularlay low, but the thing is, I was so glad to be type 1 because now I had the correct tools for the job - ie. Insulin!! The metformin and other tablets weren't working and were also giving me stomach ache. I don't think it is really possible to preserve beta cells much. I've now been on insulin for 4 years and got totally used to it. Yes, it's a bore, but hey, at least I'm in control, and there are many people who have diseases they can't do much about, so I look on the bright side. I joke saying I've got the best type of diabetes you can have! I haven't had it for that long, and I don't have to watch what I eat - just take more insulin if you want more cake!

sofiap

Thank you philip for your support!!You're right about the fact that we have a disease that it's been studied thoroughly and we have many tools to face it!!!!!!But l had yesterday A1C and it's 5.9 which means that l succeed a good glycemic control and that my betta still working!!But your optisism and your courageous atittude fills me with strength!I don't mind to be LADA .l just want to know what type l have, so l can be treated properly!!!

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
I've never heard of the drug eucreas your currently on.

Yip it took a year indeed and a looooong year it was. They gave me Gliclazide about 6 weeks before my anti-GAD diagnosis because my glucose started to jump up more and stay high longer and I was feeling iller and iller.

I had to ask for the anti-GAD test after the consultant told me I need to give the pills 3 months! Even though my dad a T2 told me he'd gotten results within days, I think I gave the pills a couple of weeks already when I saw the consultant and I was on very low carbs too at the time which didn't make a difference either. i told her I'd take the pills but I want an anti-GAD test because I was on such low carbs (and low calories in general) that this wasn't right.

So they sent a letter 3 weeks later and told me to stop taking the pills and they said in type 1 it can actually accelerate the Diabetes. The letter said I needed to consider insulin.

Gliclazide is a drug that stimulates the Pancreas to produce more insulin - but as I was losing my insulin producing cells in my Pancreas there wasn't enough there to stimulate which is why it's not good for T1 / Type 1.5 /LADA types.

Insulin has made a huge difference to me - it's early days yet and it can be a challenge but I wouldn't want to go back the way I was before diagnosis.

Levemeir is insulin but it's basal or long acting / background - some Diabetics may need just that. I'm on basal and bolus (i.e short acting insulin to cover meals). The eucreas appears to have Metaformin in it from what I see on the net, Metaformin tends to be given to those Diabetics who need to lose some weight (it helps to carry glucose into your cells more effectively).

Diabetes can be a complicated and unique illness to each individual - not everyone will be on the same set or dosages of drugs, and requirements and types of meds can change.

What's worrying you?