LADA & GAD

ninasings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals, Ignorant behaviour, Misogynists
Sorry can anyone tell me what these mean? thank you.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
LADA - stands for Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults. It is a type 1 diabetes, which means the body attacks its own insulin producing cells. People with LADA can be diagnosed by having a blood test for antibodies (the chemicals involved in attacking the insulin making cells). People with LADA have a slowly progressing form of type 1 diabetes. This means they do not need insulin when they are diagnosed but will probably need insulin in the future. How soon they will be insulin dependent depends on the level of antibody they have in their blood. Higher levels of antibodies suggest a faster progression to insulin. People with low levels of antibodies are very similar to type 2 diabetes patients. This means they are more likely to be over weight and have some insulin resistance. They are likely to benefit from tablets that act on insulin resistance. People with very high antibody levels are similar to type 1 diabetes. This means they are likely to have acute symptoms (thirst, unexplained weight loss, frequent urination, dry mouth) and are less likely to be overweight. They are likely to need insulin treatment soon after diagnosis

elaine77

Re: LADA & GAD

Hi Nina,I have GAD65 antibodies, they kill the beta cells in the pancreas as they think they are an intruder...how quickly they do it though depends on each individual person. Because I have the antibodies and am not overweight I've been categorised as type 1.5/LADA as explained above :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.