Ladies.. has T1D affected menstruation cycle

Natalielw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
This is a question for the girls.
I'm 20 years old and am on the implant, since being on it it has made my periods more irregular, but recently they've been normal! Until now, I've been on my period for 4 weeks! It started for one day in the first week after about 8 days, then started the next day.
So I googled to see if it's related to diabetes. I've been type 1 for a year now and I found an article, it was a scientific experiement and they actually concluded that women with diabetes in their 20s-30s have more risk of having disturbances with their periods such as irregular, heavier and prolonged than those woman without.
Is there anyone else who has experienced this?
This is not normal for me at all.

Reactions: 2 people

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never experienced anything like that before (I am 29 & been t1 for 25yrs).

If it has lasted that long, I would make an appointment with your gp to make sure there's nothing serious wrong.

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I was just about to post a similar thread after reading a really old post on here. I have had a few implants now, my current one I've had for almost 2 years. About 3 months ago, I had a period that lasted 9 weeks. I eventually went to the GP who put me on the pill too. This stopped the bleeding although if I miss a day, I'll come straight back on. I was diagnosed just under 2 weeks ago with T1. I know I'm new, so my sugars will be all over the place, but they keep going high and the team and confused/concerned a little.

Could being on the pill and implant affect my readings or harm me in anyway? I've never heard of contraception affecting diabetes, but then that's not surprise as I haven't been diabetic for long. Also, I wonder if that's why I'm running high.

x

Reactions: 2 people

Natalielw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first diagnosed I was given a booklet and under the contraception section it says any form you use can affect your sugars