Ladies - 'that time of the month' and high sugar levels

type1gabs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

This is one for the ladies.. ive been diabetic for 24 years, im 25 on tresbia and novarapid. I do alot of running and some weight training but the main thing i struggle with is when its that time of the month!

Its usually a week before my period starts, my sugar levels are so hard to get down, when i give an extra dose of 1 unit (trial and error) i just crash and have to treat a hypo. I eat very low carb geberally but still struggle!
Does anyone have this problem, or have tips to actually get it down without crashing?

Another problem us ladies have to add to the list!

K

Knikki

Although not a lady, well been called "honoury lady" by various friends but that's a different story. Seems a fair few on here become insulin resistant round the time of the month, so they have to compensate for a week by injecting more or changing pump settings.

I'll tag @helensaramay and @Mel dCP because it has come up in various conversations and might be able to offer some more info.

Sure there are others just not sure who :)

Reactions: type1gabs

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The other way 'round for me. I don't count myself a lady but still get that time of month, marked by going lower than I expect, 1 or 2 days before. At least I get a warning now, so I know to put tampons in my pocket and don't find myself fiddling with useless tp anymore.

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @type1gabs

Yes I also suffer with this, irs just another blip to add into the t1 mix and a pain in the proverbial most months, if you can plan ahead and diarise then it will help in planning and expectation, I have to admit though some months are worse than others so for me I can’t tell how hard it will be until it hits and some months I don’t even realise I am due on.

Reactions: shaz2608

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It’s a common thing, I have to run my pump around 20% higher that week to counter it - it was the issue that got me my pump as I couldn’t manage it properly on injections!

Annabel_Eve

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks like we're all different! Mine goes low, it is a good indicator of when it might creep up on me though! :woot:

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
type1gabs would you consider doing a softer workout instead of adding the extra unit of insulin, on that week?