Lamb Moussaka carbs?

D

Deleted Account

Surely that depends on what was in the moussaka and how much you ate.

If it is home made rather than from a packet (which would have the carb content), it may have potatoes it or it may not, it may have flour in the topping or it may not, it will probably have tomatoes but that varies, I wouldn't call it a moussaka unless it had aubergines but how many is up to the chef.

Like all food that does not come with a label it is guess work based on experience.

But, whatever the recipe, moussaka is high in fat so there may be a delay in the absorption of the carbs.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly what you've just said I guestimated the carbs clearly incorrectly. Should I:-

A) Leave it as it and take my next shot around 7-8pm
B) Go fir a brisk walk and see if that lowers it
C) Take an additional 2-3 units in order to level it out, baring in mind the last shot was only hours ago?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
a spike after an hour isn't enough to conclude the count was wrong, just that the peak of the digesting carbs beat the peak of the insulin.....

if you know how long your insulin lasts you can work out your insulin on board and then work out if you need any more units by subtracting your remaining working insulin from the calculated correction from your latest BG reading...

;)

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@novorapidboi26 how does one work out their insulin or board, I was under the impression that NovoRapid only lasted about 4-5 hours with the majority being used up just after the 2 hr point.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@novorapidboi26 how does one work out their insulin or board, I was under the impression that NovoRapid only lasted about 4-5 hours with the majority being used up just after the 2 hr point.

You would need to establish how long the novorapid works for you personally.......is it 3 hours, is it 5.....for me its 4, give or take a few minutes.....

you just divide the dose up equally per hour, or half hour.......thats how the bolus calculators on meters and pumps work it out....its not an exact science of course...

iHs

Look at the 100 Rule to work out your correction factor and use the NICE bg targets to calculate to. My correction factor on mdi was 1u to lower by 3mmol so if my bg rose up to 12mmol, I corrected back to 8mmol which is what NICE recommends more or less 2.5hrs after eating a meal. So 12mmol less 8.5mmol equals 4mmol approx so I would need a correction dose of 1u to get me back to a 6mmol target using a pen.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK so just tried this again with 9u NR aaaaaaaaaand so far after 1.5 hours sitting at a stable 5.0, Have a feeling there may be a drop before the fat and protein rise.....but lets see.