Language translation for diabetes

Fujifilm

This might seem an odd request but I need to know the correct translation for

Insulin Dependant Diabetic - I need sugar

In French, Spanish, German, Italian and Turkish !!

I tried the free translators on the net but I have had problems with these not translating the correct phrase.

Your help appreciated. :D

Its for a little project I am working on. 8)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi fuji.
For what it's worth this is what I came up with. :D

French. L'insuline personne à charge me - J'ai besoin du sucre
(Diabetic in French is Diabetique)

German. Insulin Unterhaltsberechtiger mich - Ich brauche Zucker

Italian. tipo di insulina dipendente me - Ho bisogno dello zucchero

Turkish. Insulin bağımlısı ben - Ben şekere ihtiyaç duyarım.

Actually, it all says,
"I am a tourist, I wish to swop my wife for a Camel, she is always giving me the hump, so I thought I would try the real thing !" Only joking...... :lol: :wink:

Ken

Reactions: Dodo

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
French
Je suis diabétique, j'ai besoin de sucre.
or perhaps in a bar or restaurant (best place to get sugar quickly in France)
Je suis diabétique, pouvez-vous me donner un morceau de sucre, s'il vous plait?", j'ai une hypoglycémie
I don't know what you need it for but you might find some use in what I have written on my card .

Je suis diabétique. Si je me comporte de façon inhabituelle (si je parais en état d'intoxication) ou si je suis inconscient(e) cela peut être une réaction à l'insuline.
If I'm behaving in a unsual way, if I appear to be drunk or if I am unconcious this may be an insulin reaction.

Je ne suis pas en état d'intoxication. Appeler un médecin ou le SAMU. Si je suis capable d'aveler, veuillez me donner un aliment sucré. (exemples: soda sucré,sucre, jus d'orange, bonbons)
I'm not drunk. Call a doctor or the emergency services. If I am capabale of swallowing. please give me something sugary (sweet fizzy drink, sugar, orarnge juice, sweets)
also
Je suis muni(e) d'une pompe à insuline. En cas d'urgence contacter.(médecin , proches, numéro d'assitance)
(doctor, next of kin, 24 hr pump assistance)
If it isn't any use well it might be useful for someone who finds the thread in the future (I hope so there aren't accents on my keyboard and it took ages .

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Fuji,
good luck with the project, i couldn't imagine any diabetic remembering any of that whilst have a hypo!
But as where emmigrating shortly to Malta and travelling through Europe to get there, i think it best i get it printed out onto laminated card. Many thanks, you've just saved me hours trawling the net., and your project has proved very useful to me. :D
Suzi x

frenchkittie

Great translation phoenix :)

Just one small thing, swallow should be avaler, rather than aveler

phoenix said:
French
Je ne suis pas en état d'intoxication. Appeler un médecin ou le SAMU. Si je suis capable d'aveler, veuillez me donner un aliment sucré. (exemples: soda sucré,sucre, jus d'orange, bonbons)
I'm not drunk. Call a doctor or the emergency services. If I am capabale of swallowing. please give me something sugary (sweet fizzy drink, sugar, orarnge juice, sweets)

It might be a good idea, along with translations in other languages, as a stickie somewhere on the forum, for holidays and the like?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whoops,
Thankyou Cat,
(All these doctors appointments since I became diabetic have improved my French immensly)

Fujifilm

cugila said:
Actually, it all says,
"I am a tourist, I wish to swop my wife for a Camel, she is always giving me the hump, so I thought I would try the real thing !" Only joking...... :lol: :wink:

Ken
Now thats probably a lot more use to me :lol:

Thanks all, for the replys, what I am actually doing is making myself some ID cards, I looked at whats available and they are pretty much a waste of space for the cost. Laminators are cheap and I have a little business card program.

I have the usual , on it medical symbols, name DOB, ICE, medication etc. and thought it would good to have the various languages on the back saying "Insulin dependant diabetic"

But now phoenix has given me an even better idea as that information is just what you need. So I am going to make multiple cards, and depending where I am going, have that country language on the back.

I am also working on my own USB dog tag type thing. because I just got one of those from u-tag.co.uk and they are pretty naff for the price. USB sticks are cheap as chips and I am sure I can come up with a far better idea.

Keeps me out of trouble. :wink:

Fujifilm

Thanks for that,

My card already looks better than that :D but its given me some more ideas.

The form is good and I will adapt that information, plus its given me an even better idea. 8)

moonstone

Being half Italian I wouldn't say "tipo di insulina dipendente me", it seems meaningless - I'd say "Sono diabetica (diabetico if you're a man), tipo A (said like the A in 'dad'), uso l'insulina". It literally means: I'm diabetic, Type1, I use insulin.

The rest was fine and in Italian you can add "subito" at the end, which means "immediately".

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
moonstone said:
Being half Italian I wouldn't say "tipo di insulina dipendente me", it seems meaningless

So, what does that actually say then.......?? That came from a translation service, so I really would like to know. :( Tell them they got it wrong !
Ken

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lets hope we get the translation right, otherwise we could all sound like Del boy Trotter! :lol:

Nigel

Jenni_1984

why don't you carry a medical alert card or an SOS Talisman or such like. These are recognised the world over.....Would save on having to remember exactly what to say in all the different languages!

moonstone

Hi Cugila, well it's kind of a jumble - it says "type of insulin dependent me" I think! If someone said that to you in English you'd have a hard time getting the point if you weren't diabetic and didn't know any diabetics. Online translations are fine for easy, normal text but "insulin dependent diabetic" is a technical medical term.

I've typed into babelfish the more explanatory:
"I am a diabetic who is dependent on insulin" which translates as "Sono un diabetico che dipende da insulina", and
"I am diabetic and I am dependent on insulin" which translates as "Sono diabetico e dipendo da insulina".

They both sound good enough to me but I can check with my auntie this weekend to get the exact right phrase. It might be that 'to depend' isn't the appropriate verb, and again, the online translator wouldn't have the judgement to know that - it just translates words and has no apparent sense of context.

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi fuji.
For what it's worth this is what I came up with. :D

French. L'insuline personne à charge me - J'ai besoin du sucre
(Diabetic in French is Diabetique)

German. Insulin Unterhaltsberechtiger mich - Ich brauche Zucker

Italian. tipo di insulina dipendente me - Ho bisogno dello zucchero

Turkish. Insulin bağımlısı ben - Ben şekere ihtiyaç duyarım.

Actually, it all says,

Ken

I am Italian and I'm sorry , Ken, but no one in Italy would understand the sentence you proposed. The correct Italian version would be:
«Sono diabetico insulino-dipendente. La prego mi aiuti, ho urgente bisogno di zucchero.»
Or else: «Ho il diabete di tipo uno. La prego mi aiuti, ho urgente bisogno di zucchero.»

beckysalvage

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In Spanish I would say:

Soy diabético (dependiente de la insulina). Necesito un poco de azúcar por favor.
(I am diabetic (dependent on insulin). I need some sugar please.)

Hope that helps xxx