Lantus 100 strength to Tresiba 200 strength

Auldreekie

I am moving from Lantus to Tresiba insulin and being off work this week thought it would be a good time to start. I know the dosage recommended, at least to begin with, is 75% of the Lantus dosage. However the Lantus was 100 strength whilst the Tresiba is 200 strength. Should it not be the cased that the Tresiba dosage should be half again as it is double the strength? has anyone made this move before and how did you adapt?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whatever your dose is in 'units' is what matters, it's just that the Tresiba 200u will be a smaller 'volume' but the same number of units on the pen (which is why it only comes in a FlexPen and not as PenFill cartridges).

Auldreekie

Thanks Robert.Previously I took 32 units of Lantus 100u and the doctor recommended to start with 75% for Tresiba so that would be 24 units. My concern was that 24 units of 200 strength would be much more powerful than 32 units of 100 strength insulin

Reactions: robert72

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Robert.Previously I took 32 units of Lantus 100u and the doctor recommended to start with 75% for Tresiba so that would be 24 units. My concern was that 24 units of 200 strength would be much more powerful than 32 units of 100 strength insulin
Ah but no, they put it in a special pen so that you dial up the same number of units. If you were using a syringe like we used to in the old days then yes you would need much less, but the pens are designed to compensate for all that.

Of course, if you are at all unclear about your dose, you should call your doctor or nurse for advice.