LANTUS LAWSUITS

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP

Fallenstar

Looking back that insulin made me frightened of life...and believe me I'm all about living :D
I'm just so glad to be out of it now,people can't believe the difference in me. I'm so grateful for people who spend their time online telling the truth!,,,We can't all be lying!

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Fallenstar,
Glad ur feeling better, but we're all just imagined it LOL. Know what u mean about being frightened, it was like being pumped with adrenalin and having a permanent panic attack. That's how it started with me, tight throat, strange feeling in my mouth, feeling my breathing wasn't right. I didn't tell anyone and it was scary. think I'm lucky to have survived 4 1/2 yrs of it, some people aint been so lucky :evil:
I agree, the more people that post about their experiences with these godawful analogue insulins the better off we'll all be in the future. Keep it out there!!
Jus :)

Fallenstar

Thing is Jus ,I'm A OK on Levemir..Honestly,it's great. So analouges aren't the problem FOR ME...Lantus was...but there are people out there that get along with it....but if someone GOOGLES ,like I did, certain problems with Diabetic control.....Then ..BOY....does Lantus come up :shock: :shock: :shock: so take from it what you will...that maybe will apply to you...or not as the case may be :)

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
This has really scared me.

I've just started it this week. 12units/ day. I've raised concerns that it hurts when I inject, but the DN said it's the perservative and to inject in the thigh instead of stomach...it still hurts and the pain lasts for a few hours.

Shall I ask for Levemir?

AMBrennan

By specifically reminding us to look at recent comments, I assume that you recommend that we all stop taking Lantus immediately, like this guy did:
Until 2 weeks ago i took myself off the lantun...i feel like i can live again [...] i havent told my dr yet but going go see him

But hey, if someone on the internet says that Lantus causes cancer then that's all the proof we need.
Yes, some people may have negative reactions to it; that does not mean that the NHS is conspiring with Sanofi to kill (well, make seriously ill and require even more expensive treatment) us all.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sanober, I I used Lantus from the time I was diagnosed until I went onto the pump , I had none of those scary symptoms and nor do many others. The stinging is a valid concern, lantus has a different ph to the body. It is apparently worse if you use it from the fridge, so make sure you keep the in use pen at normal temperature.
Here's an article about the evidence on it and cancer, an adverse comment and a doctors reply
http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/a ... use-cancer

alliebee

God this is quite frightening,
Esp the post that mentioned all the awful analogues???

Like sanober, I have just started on Insulin this week, although Im on Levemir...
Which is like Lantus, an analogue........
As if we newbies dont have enough to take in :? :?

Fallenstar

Hi Ali
Don't worry as I said above Levemir is a fab insulin, and has turned my control right around .Im in touch with a few others that have swapped and exactly the same thing has happened to them with the switch...And we were all experiencing the same problems on Lantus..WEIRD, but Levemir which as you say in a analouge is fine.

Having said that there will be thousands of people who are on Lantus and who get on with it just fine, you tend only to look into things and report on them when there IS a problem. There does seem to be much more anecdotal stories "out there" with Lantus. To be perfectly honest if I had of had good control on it the stories of Cancer ect would not have stopped me using it...as EVERYTHING is linked carcinogenic :roll: these days....and let's face it ,it's either the big C which gets you when your time is due..or the old ticker gives up, why spend life worrying...

But feeling terrible on a daily basis, crashing Hypo's ,bad night time Hypo's all the time was something Lantus caused for me, so it had to go.

Sanobar , you will find you will probably be absolutely fine on it, as Pheonix says she really got on with it. I was on it for over ten years and for a good proportion of that time I was OK on it. Not as good as now but it was manageable in the early years on it. I just thought that was how Type 1 Diabetes progresses and was heading down hill on it...and fast towards the end. This is what brought me onto the net looking for alternatives..up until then Diabetes never really interested me, I mean it's dull enough living with it!

I'm glad I did though, and I am thankful for people like Jus who tell their experiences on things ,as with everyone else that has written their experiences good or bad with an insulin. Take from things what you will as and when you need them, but don't go looking for problems that aren't there.
It is good there are alternatives, and it's important we know of them IF we need them.

alliebee

You are a star, thankyou so much

Feel so much better reading that, as I said there is a lot to take in, but Ive been so happy since starting on Levemir. No sting, just this fantastic sense of well being, after readings 20 plus, and within 6 days, thirst gone, energy levels rising, I was even at the gym today on the treadmill as my readings have come down to an average of 10, which I know will horrify most folks on here, but is my first week, Im following Vivs diet, and never hungry, my blood pressure is down, almost normal, and im sleeping through the night ( finished my illicit affair with the loo in the wee small hours) :lol: :lol:

On returning from the gym I was 7.5 YAY!

But the main thing is I feel reasured, Its so kind when people like you, take the time to explain, and encourage.

Thank you all, I am so so pleased I found this forum.

a very grateful,
Alison xx :D :D

Fallenstar

Ali :D
That really is such fantastic news :D What a difference an insulin makes eh!!

you will just go from strength to strength now...and fab news on the low carb diet, it really is a great way of life and will benefit you in so many ways. I know I bang on about it but ,evangelical at times :lol:

I'm really chuffed for you :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Justine,

I remember reading this early this year, yes it is worrying but I don't think it will be changing my mind to stop injecting lantus. I've tried changing basal insulin's before and none have given me the steady and consistent control that lantus has.

I am sure Sanofi-Aventis are developing a new analogue insulin to replace lantus so it may be withdrawn once this insulin is marketed, I did ask my consultant about the cancer risks at my last visit but he dismissed this altogether.

ClaireG 06

No one Insulin suits all. It's a question of working out, with the help of your diabetes care health team, which is the right one for you.