Lantus Optiset/Solostar out of stock!

MrsB2004

Hi,
Can anyone shed any light on what happens if I can't get Lantus?

I have been on Lantus Optiset for the last few years, I put in my repeat prescription over a month ago to discover that the Optiset has been discontinued. My doctors are always busy and it took 3 weeks to get an appointment to see the GP. He then wrote me a prescription for Insuline Glargine 3ml pre filled pens, which as I discovered when I gave it to the Pharmacist is another way of saying Lantus Optiset, therefore discontinued! I managed to get an emergency appointment and got a prescription for Lantus Solostar. Happily toddled off to the Pharmacy to find out that Solostar is out of stock and they have no idea when they will get more in! It seems that there is a shortage at the factory.

I will try and find a pharmacy with some stock, but I only have a week's worth left (not expecting to have to wait 5 weeks for more supplies!). Having been diabetic for 17 years this is the first time this has happened.

I am worried, I like Lantus - I am nervous of changing. Has anyone had the same problem? :(

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Lantus in a non-disposable pen. Not had any trouble getting hold of it in cartridges.

Indeed when it first came out, I used to inject it with syringes (until Owen Mumford came up with an Autopen for it)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
MrsB,

Try another pharmacy for the lantus solostar and see what they say, not heard of any shortage or problems with production.