Lantus Problem

avi

Dislikes
people who act like they are the diabetic police!!!
Hi

Went across to see the Dr this morning as I have been having varying needs in my insulin, reckon its hormonal and high readings in the morning. This has been going on for some time now and seems to be progressing, some mornings I can get up and my readings are around five sometimes fifteen. the Dr reckons its a problem with the Lantus, that it might not be working for me, although it did when I was first put on it. Initially I was on Levimir but I had an allergic reaction to it and it dissolved the fat on my thighs. I phoned the diabetic nurse and she says I am to split my BI dose and see how I get on, I already tried this and it didn't work, but she insisted I tried it again. I was wondering what other alternatives there are to the Lantus having already tried Levimir.

Avi

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi avi,

There are another couple of options you could try. They're known as intermediate acting, rather than long acting (Lantus or Levemir). Insulatard or Humulin I might work for you although they are best taken as a split dose i.e. twice per day.

fergus

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Avi,
This is becoming a familiar story on this forum!
You are not alone, this is a prob for many people, including myself, on Lantus. Came off it a year ago, and went on Pork Insulin. I've had good CONSISTENT control since, so I know without a doubt the lantus wasn't working. I had 4 1/2 years of it, same as you, normal one day, through the roof the next for no reason. I had other days when I was hypo all day, again for no reason, and up in the 20s the next. Like u, thought it was hormones, or something more serious. When I sussed out it was the Lantus I was also able to trace my ill health, exhaustion, and other symptoms back to when I went on Lantus. It was a real wake up call, and quite upsetting,-wish I'd realised earlier.
I decided to go on to Purified Animal Insulin, as I'd already tried other synthetics including insulatard and others as I've been type-1 for 20 years. Note that you can still take a synthetic rapid-acting insulin alongside a long or intermediate animal insulin.
For further advice contact the IDDT (insulin Dependent Diabetes Trust), their number and email is on their website, and they're a real help.
You've got a great doctor there Avi!. :D If you've got time please PM me or read my previous postings.
Best of luck
Jus

KimSuzanne

I changed my Lantus in March I'm on Humulin I now split dose - the GP did mention to me that there has been questions about the length of time Lantus works for! They think it may not be the full 24 hours so I split mine and didn't get on with it then.
For some people Lantus does work but most of the posts on here have been from women having problems with it - my GP wouldn't give me pork insulin but Humulin I seems to be working alright for me!
Kim

janabelle

Dislikes
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Kim, glad you're getting on well with humulin. Your GP has no right to refuse you animal insulin. What were his reasons for not giving it to you? Also I wonder how long it will be before humulin is also consigned to the scrap heap along with many other 'human' insulins in favour of the wonder analogues :evil: On the plus side Ely Lily don't make a long-acting analogue, so you might be ok for a while!!
Jus

avi

Dislikes
people who act like they are the diabetic police!!!
Hi

I initially split the Lantus dose after doing the Dafne course, I hadn't been on it that long before then only about a month or two. It worked for 9 months with really good control then the problems began, I persevered for a few more months and then went back to the one night time dose to see if that helped. I was looking back over my diaries to get things straight, my memory is terrible, and have now written it all down. I split the dose again two nights running now, 8 units at night and 6 in the morning, with still no joy. Went to bed the first night my BG was 6.1 at 10pm, 1am it was 7.6, 20 past 3 8.8 and when I got up at half seven 12.8. I didn't have anything to eat before I went bed. Next night its been a similar story going to bed on 7.4 and waking up on13.8. Tonight I'm going to try 10 units at bedtime and 4 in the morning to see how I get on. Its getting pretty frustrating.

Avi

janabelle

Dislikes
Having RP
I understand your frustration Avi, as I've repeatedly said, I've been there :cry:
Ditch the Lantus, and like many others, you'll be frustrated no longer.
Jus

iHs

Hello Avi

Lantus can at times cause problems for people. You are going the right way adjusting yr bedtime dose upwards. I notice though that you are not eating anything when you go to bed? From my own experience of using Lantus for 6 years, no matter what my bedtime/morning bg level was , I always made sure that I eat a snack before bed such as half a slice of toast, or cracker and piece of cheese. You may find that your bg level in the morning is much lower if you eat a snack and inject more Lantus before bedtime. Just make sure that you carry on doing a bg test for a while in the middle of the night. Eventually you will get your dose adjusted correctly.