Lantus users - how many units?

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not convinced that the daily Lantus Solostar Insulin is working!

I started in February on 10 units and now I'm up to 40 units and still getting the same results [8's and 9's]

The results are so inconsistent it's as if the insulin started working then stopped!

I eat the same foods and do the same excercise each day - almost groundhog day

My questions are

How many units do you take?

Are you acheiving your target blood sugar level?

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on 80u a day until recently starting on Victoza.... now down to 56u a day.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I'm on 30 units a day.

glenmoray

Have you tried splitting your Lantus into 2 doses. I found my Lantus was not lasting 24 hours so was advised by my diabetic nurses to split the Lantus into 2 doses. I was on 50 units a day. I now have 25 units at 6am and 25 units at 6pm and my levels have improved greatly. Your Lantus is just your baseline insulin so you need to get your levels to between 6 - 7 mmols . I starved myself for a day so I could get my levels to this. Good luck.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. What sort of daily carb intake do you have and are you overweight? If you have some remaining insulin resistance then the number of units needs to be high to have any effect. If you are overweight, then the right diet will bring this down and I suspect the number of Lantus units. Apologies if you are already slim!

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies :)

Daibell said:
HI. What sort of daily carb intake do you have and are you overweight?

Yes I am overweight and I've worked out, for the first time, my carbohydrate intake at around 193g [36g breakfast, 78g lunch and 79g dinner at 8pm. I also do a 2 mile walk regularily.

Now that I look at it the carbs seem a bit high. I know exactly where I can reduce by 72g! [I have some carrot cake slices with my lunch and dinner ] :oops: