1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Lantus users - how many units?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by scottish-jim, Apr 22, 2013.

1. scottish-jim

scottish-jim Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced that the daily Lantus Solostar Insulin is working!

I started in February on 10 units and now I'm up to 40 units and still getting the same results [8's and 9's]

The results are so inconsistent it's as if the insulin started working then stopped!

I eat the same foods and do the same excercise each day - almost groundhog day

My questions are

How many units do you take?

Are you acheiving your target blood sugar level?

2. picklebean

picklebean Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was on 80u a day until recently starting on Victoza.... now down to 56u a day.

3. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm on 30 units a day.

4. scottish-jim

Are you hitting your target blood sugar levels?

5. glenmoray

glenmoray · Well-Known Member

Have you tried splitting your Lantus into 2 doses. I found my Lantus was not lasting 24 hours so was advised by my diabetic nurses to split the Lantus into 2 doses. I was on 50 units a day. I now have 25 units at 6am and 25 units at 6pm and my levels have improved greatly. Your Lantus is just your baseline insulin so you need to get your levels to between 6 - 7 mmols . I starved myself for a day so I could get my levels to this. Good luck.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

6. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

HI. What sort of daily carb intake do you have and are you overweight? If you have some remaining insulin resistance then the number of units needs to be high to have any effect. If you are overweight, then the right diet will bring this down and I suspect the number of Lantus units. Apologies if you are already slim!

7. Deanna_Griff

Deanna_Griff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

8. scottish-jim

Thanks for the replies :)

Yes I am overweight and I've worked out, for the first time, my carbohydrate intake at around 193g [36g breakfast, 78g lunch and 79g dinner at 8pm. I also do a 2 mile walk regularily.

Now that I look at it the carbs seem a bit high. I know exactly where I can reduce by 72g! [I have some carrot cake slices with my lunch and dinner ] :oops:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook