Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's quite normal for people to put weight on once they start on insulin, I've been on lantus for around 9 years (I'm type 1) and lost over 2 stone in weight around two years ago.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As said when starting insulin you will naturally put weight on as your body starts repairing. mostly down to healthy eating, excercise and good control. If u are putting in too much insulin needing snacks to avoid hypos u r just feeding the insulin and your body extra food. Have a good diet healthy low gi foods, plenty of excercise u should be ok. As long as u dont have any other side effects as I did and was swapped to levimir from lantus.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I've read in articles published, that a side effect of lantus can be weight gain, I've gained weight since starting it, but it has remained stable since starting it.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
When I was on Lantus I gradually put on 2 1/2 stone over a period of time. My insulin dose was also gradually increasing and I was also eating a lot of carbs to feed my insulin intake - silly! All off these factors contributed to weight gain I think. Now on pump taking fast acting novo rapid only, on <120g carbs per day and insulin has reduced since pumping - lost 2.5 stone over last year and a half and now maintaining weight at 9 and a half stone.