1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

laser treatment

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by sozzle, Sep 21, 2008.

1. sozzle

sozzle Type 1 · Newbie

hi

new to this so needs lots of help

I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic in july, when i was admitted to hospital with blood sugars of 40 (high i know)

I'm managing my blood sugars quite well but tomorrow I'm having laser treatment on both eyes for damage to the blood vessels. starting to panic slightly now, more about what to expect afterwards and how to avoid needing more treatment in the future.

any advise would be much appreciated as not got a clue

2. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

T1 husband has had this done several times and each time it has been successful. I'm nagging him to keep tighter BGs so as to avoid any more. Low carbing and VERY tight BG control has been known to reverse retinopathy.

3. Katharine

Katharine · Well-Known Member

Laser treatment can reduce the chances of bleeding into the eye from damaged blood vessels. It should get you in the clear from any more immediate problems. Long term you can get normal blood sugars from a combination of restricted carb eating and advanced insulin techniques. You can even get some of your complications including some retinopathic changes to reverse.

Stick with it.

4. sozzle

sozzle Type 1 · Newbie

That's great thanks for the advise

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook