Latest Hba1c and cholesterol

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my Hba1c, cholesterol and fasting glucose blood test on Tuesday. I have an appointment to see the GP this afternoon to get my results. I have just rang the surgery to see if the results are back and the receptionist said they were all normal but there was a note that I could make an appointment to see the nurse about my lipids if I wanted to. Either I need to or I don't! I was hoping my cholesterol would be OK but will find out this afternoon what it is so not longer to wait (worry)

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh Aqualung, good luck this afternoon. Worrying won't change the results and will only push your BS up. Focus on the "they are all normal" bit. Let us know, and make sure you get a copy of everything.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hopefully nothing to worry about, good luck!!!!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks everyone:) being positive it might have gone down - it can't be that bad if it's up to me whether I make an appointment! will let you all know later.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have got my results and overall they are good.

Hba1c - 34 (was 38) which I was amazed at and very pleased

Fasting glucose - 4.8. so no liver dump then!

Cholesterol - still quite high but the GP said all was OK as my overall risk was 3.xx % on one tick box questionnaire and 1,xx % on another.

Total cholesterol 6.4 (was 6.4)
triglyceride 1.70 (was 0.89)
HDL 1.6 (was 1.7 )
HDL ratio 4 (was 3.8)
LDL 4 (was 4.3 )

He said with regards to my Hba1c it is normal and I don't need to have another test or maybe check it again in 2 years time. I think 1 year at the most! I know what I am doing most of the time but like to keep an eye on it.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Excellent, well done!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've got similar figures, what type of diet are you on?

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry for the delay in replying I have been on holiday with no internet access.

I am on a reduced carb medium fat diet (I think). I don't count carbs, fat or calories so don't really sure how much of each I eat. I can't get on with myfitnesspal. I don't eat potatoes, pasta or rice and have the occassional slice of burgen bread. I was saying to my husband the other day that I am an all or nothing person so am not much use with restrict the amount you eat. In the past I have given up with diets and I can't count and keep track of food but eating the way I am now I have lost nearly 2 stone. I don't overdo the fat but I do have butter, cream and full fat youghurt and cheese

douglas and lesley what do you eat?

JamieWhite

Hi

I have a similar problem. I was diagnosed last august with a fasting level of just over 8. And cholesterol levels that made poor reading. I retested at 5 months and had got an Hb1ac of 43 but bad cholesterol at 7.2. Suggestion was that if this did not improve a statin would be required as all diabetics should be under 4. I pressed on and got to bad cholesterol to 5.7 so a stay of execution given my hb1ac and LDL to hdl ratio now being normal. Sadly though last results are hb1ac is 37 but cholesterol back to 7.2. Great news on the hb1ac - lots of exercise and dropping 25% body weight- bad news about cholesterol. Waiting now to discuss with GP. I really did not want to have a statin from what I read it's a lifetime on a slippery slope. I would be interested in any one who also has this problem. Mine is really because sometimes I travel a lot and end up eating poorly due to where I am and what's available.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

I am on a reduced carb medium fat diet (I think). I don't count carbs, fat or calories so don't really sure how much of each I eat. I can't get on with myfitnesspal. I don't eat potatoes, pasta or rice and have the occassional slice of burgen bread. I was saying to my husband the other day that I am an all or nothing person so am not much use with restrict the amount you eat. In the past I have given up with diets and I can't count and keep track of food but eating the way I am now I have lost nearly 2 stone. I don't overdo the fat but I do have butter, cream and full fat youghurt and cheese

@aqualung

A mixed bag recently, but the one that suits me is a calorie controlled, low GI, Low GL, low fat.
As you, no potatoes, no pasta, but some basmati rice. No bread.
Low GI carbs, portion controlled.
Recently I have introduced more carbs, but I always eat to my meter, and believe any diet has to be your own diet, and the only thing I believe is that your meter doesn't lie, so that's the thing to listen to.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs

Hi Aqualung

My dietician recommends low GI, 30g at main meals and 15g for snacks. So I take what she recommends, take on board some of the stuff I read on here and basically my diet is reduced carb - moderate fat. I don't bother with rice (heck, 1/3 cup hardly worth the bother) so I have the cauliflower rice, avoid pasta (occasionally have the Slendier low carb rubber noodles), probably once a week have a Carisma potato (low GI, 9g carb per 100g). Most of my carb intake comes from fruit, vegetables, beans/chick peas and some Quorn products, a slice of Burgen bread here and there and of course, gotta have gravy on my veggies ... you can take the girl outta England but you can't take England outta the girl!

Also, I follow the Insulin Resistant Diet where you link protein with carbs so for every 15g carbs I eat I balance it with 7g protein. Foods that contain carbs and protein (dairy, beans) you don't need to add protein to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi Aqualung

My dietician recommends low GI, 30g at main meals and 15g for snacks. So I take what she recommends, take on board some of the stuff I read on here and basically my diet is reduced carb - moderate fat. I don't bother with rice (heck, 1/3 cup hardly worth the bother) so I have the cauliflower rice, avoid pasta (occasionally have the Slendier low carb rubber noodles), probably once a week have a Carisma potato (low GI, 9g carb per 100g). Most of my carb intake comes from fruit, vegetables, beans/chick peas and some Quorn products, a slice of Burgen bread here and there and of course, gotta have gravy on my veggies ... you can take the girl outta England but you can't take England outta the girl!
PS ... I have tried to cut my carbs down and eat more fat/protein but it leads to constipation .. I sometimes look at what people eat on the LCHF diet on here and wonder how the heck they ever visit the loo!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS ... I have tried to cut my carbs down and eat more fat/protein but it leads to constipation .. I sometimes look at what people eat on the LCHF diet on here and wonder how the heck they ever visit the loo!
I found that I was a bit constipated the first couple of weeks I was low carbing, then my body started getting used to it, and I found that a combination of plenty of green leafy type veggies, nuts, and flaxseed were enough to keep me "going". A bit yucky sounding maybe, but fat also seems to help by appearing to do a bit of lubricating for you. Psyllium husks are often recommended to help with bulk but for me they are disgusting vile stuff :eek::eek: and actually made me feel I was getting appendicitis! You definitely need to keep some carbs in the form of greens and fibre in a low carb diet.

Robbity

PS Getting back to Hba1c - I had my annual check-up nearly a month ago and am having to wait until this coming Tuesday to see the diabetes team to discuss my results. I did get a little leaflet with some of them in it couple of weeks after the tests though.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I found that I was a bit constipated the first couple of weeks I was low carbing, then my body started getting used to it, and I found that a combination of plenty of green leafy type veggies, nuts, and flaxseed were enough to keep me "going". A bit yucky sounding maybe, but fat also seems to help by appearing to do a bit of lubricating for you. Psyllium husks are often recommended to help with bulk but for me they are disgusting vile stuff :eek::eek: and actually made me feel I was getting appendicitis! You definitely need to keep some carbs in the form of greens and fibre in a low carb diet.

Robbity

PS Getting back to Hba1c - I had my annual check-up nearly a month ago and am having to wait until this coming Tuesday to see the diabetes team to discuss my results. I did get a little leaflet with some of them in it couple of weeks after the tests though.
I definitely agree re. the fat bit .... see, the dietician of course wants me to keep the fat down (she'd not be pleased it she knew I had full fat milk!) but I find that is part of the problem .... all my life I've found that meat makes me constipated so you can see my dilemma ..... as has been said on previous threads, we are all different and our bodies react differently to different diets. Fortunately at this stage my sugars are ok .. I have just made the lifestyle changes needed to get my insulin levels down where they belong and hopefully keep them there in order to avoid diabetes (strong family history).

What I would like to know re. HbAlc is: I had mine tested around 18 months ago and it was 5.8; after losing around 8kg and following a low GI diet and getting my insulin back in the normal range ... it's still 5.8. Shouldn't it have gone down? I was a bit disappointed!

Last edited by a moderator: