latest hba1c

jtuddy

hi all in dec 2009 had hba1c test which was 8.2 now just had another and that was 9.1 surly thats not to bad considering the time which has past what do you think

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In my opinion 9.1 is too high. I encourage you to keep working at bringing those figures down otherwise you run the risk of diabetic complications. Keep working at it, it won't be easy but for the sake of your health you need to keep trying. All the best, I hope your next HbA1c will be a better result.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I agree that 9.1 is too high. You should be aiming for below 7 and ideally between 5 and 6, but anything below 7 and above 5 would be beneficial to your well-being....its not easy but is achievable with dedication and careful diet, with exercise if that is possible.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not a type 2 myself, but 9.1 is rather high. As others have stated, its best to get this below 7 and a chat with your dsn or gp on how best to achieve this may be worthwhile.

Nigel

Dollyrocker

The fact that your result has gone up is really not good, the only way is down when it comes to HBA1Cs. Maybe your medication needs adjusting.

Are you on a low carb diet?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
philchap said:
Had my latest hba1c on thursday and it was 5, cholesterol was 3.5. phil type 1

There good results Phil, the a1c is a little too low for my liking but as long as you are not having frequent hypo's and still retain your hypo awareness symptoms I can't see a problem......so well done! :)

Nigel

philchap

Dislikes
INJECTIONS, LOL
Yes nigel it seems a bit low and I can go into a low 3 and still function normally, after talking this over with the diabetic doc he agreed with me that because lower readings my body could function ok at this level, I have to test often but this isn't a problem, i've been type 1 for 43 years and feel great, for most diabetics our quality of life is down to us, I'll work hard on my control until that cure arrives. Good luck and health to you all. Phil

DazG

I agree with the others, mine was in the 9's 3 months ago, and this time its 5.9, I have achieved this by taking medication, low carb dieting and lots of exercise.

If you can try to cut down on some carbs, and try to be as active as you can, you will feel better for it, I certainly do :D

cyrryan

Hi
My recent HBA1C was 9.2 and I feel awlful about this as it doesn't seem to be getting any better.
I was also at diabetic clinic and asked about my status on pump waiting list but they fobbed me off with following detail; that an individual who is being selected for pump use must be clinically suitable, mentally prepared and educated. In Ireland it is the DAFNE course that provides this training.
I am on a waiting list for a DAFNE course here in Ireland. At my clinic there are just 4 courses per year and as their is a high demand for the course the waiting list is for another year. I am disappointed to hear this as I have diabetes since 1986. Other newly diagnosed diabetics are been offered the course before the older diabetics which seems unfair. I am anxious to get to use the pump so I questioned my medical team on why this situation exists. They say it is due to staff training issues, limited pump availability and that it is a hospital rather than a community services matter. I further questioned the medical team on selection and priority. Their answers were vague and I was told Pregnant women and young children are a priority at present.

I am now in limbo and don't know where to go from here.

Any advise would be gratefully accepted.

Caoireall.