Latest HbA1c

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
blah... 7.9% :(

That's gone up from 6.8% last time... it's the highest one yet and im not happy with it!

Doesn't seem to matter what i do, i've experimented with different ratio's, injection sites and basals and my bg's are still swinging up and down. corrections seem to have no affect and i keep hypoing unexpectidly.

We discussed insulin profiles and effectively using the monitoring results today at the JIGSAW course... although i mostly do what is suggested already, i did pick up a couple of ideas to try so we'll see how that goes over the next week.

It's so frustrating because i know the theory behind all this stuff... but it just doesn't seem to work on ME!!

Im so fed up with diabetes ! :evil:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
STuboy,
That's how I feel about weight. I'm fed up with being overweight. Eat VERY few Carbs. Keep BG under control and that scale won't go down.
I won't give up on the low carbs, because the BGs are good.
The problem seems to be that wishing isn't enough. there's no magic cure. W have to experiment and keep doing so until we get there.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Chin up Stuboy !! Have you been ill recently? That would play havoc with your results.

Stuboy

Dislikes
No not been ill recently at all, even over christmas i managed to escape that nasty bug that went around.

At the jigsaw course today we analysed my results from the past 2 weeks. None of the group or two of the nurses could see any particular patterns either. It's a mystery!

From today im going to Hold back on my correction doses and test 30 minutes apart before taking a correction to check which direction the glucose is going in.
Im also gonna try and chart my CHO and insulin as well.. im about to set out in excel and work on a charting system for insulin and cho levels against bg's... wish me luck!

I just see no resolution in sight other than trying a pump. Maybe im just not suited to injection by pen?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
PS Stuboy,
What are you eating?

Stuboy

Dislikes
If you're asking what diet im on. It's not a low carb diet.

I eat the food i enjoy, which can at times contain a fair few carbs. But i do adjust my insulin to the amount of carbs i eat.

I have more recently been more aware of choosing a lower carb option if there's a choice... ie, if i have two packets infront of me... ill pick the one with less carbs in it.

Tonight for dinner i had
chicken wrapped in bacon, 0.8g Carbs (by the packet),
cauliflour cheese, 6.4g Carbs (by the packet),
5 small new potatos, 30g Carbs (calculated by weight),
Carrots and cabbage.

totalling 37.2g carbs - that's low for me.

That's a typical evening meal really, when im not eating pasta carbonara or bolonase or chillie.

Lunch time is much higher in carbs as i eat sandwiches or bread rolls, depending on the size of the roll up to 80-100g carbs for lunch.

But having said all that, i do adjust insulin needs to my carb intake, so please please please don't turn this into a low carb high carb debate lol (and i mean that in the nicest way possible) im aware that low carb exists. But to be honest i dont think i can go down a low carb route because i like what i like, and what i like contains carbs.
Having said THAT, i would be willing to try low carb bread if it exists! But i wont miss out on the things i enjoy. that to me, would be my diabetes controlling me and i wont have it, i just wont have it i tell you! lol

jopar

stuboy

Sounds a bit like the problems that I used to have, before going onto the pump

Two things I found

Was firstly even spliting my levimer into 2 injections a day, couldn't flatten out my basal profile enough, so had dips and troughs that made it very difficult to factor these into a good carb-insulin ratio..

Then on the quick acting insulin side of things, Because both insulin pens and syringes both have there limitations of how accurate they can deliver the insulin, combine this with a sencivity to insulin, It would either shoot me high, or be too much and send my low...

But since going onto the pump, I've manage to sort out a flat basal profile, and with the very fine delivery caperbilites of the bolus and how it may be delivered have solved my problems

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stu, Sorry that your levels aren’t what you hoped for.
Two quick thoughts on the meal bolus front.
1)I would include the cabbage and carrots on my carb count. Depending on weight they could account for 10g carb or more.
2)Could it be that you your post prandial spikes are delayed because of the fat content. Bacon and cheese are relatively high as are things like pasta carbonara. On MDI, I often used to go fairly low at 2 hours with that type of meal but end up with normal readings at 3-4 hours.