1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Latest On The Dexcom G6

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Kim Possible, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

Following my previous post about the Dexcom G6 launch, I have just been watching the webcast.
    Here is my summary (sorry if it is a bit long ... the cost is included if you keep reading):

Availability (in UK and Ireland)
    - can be ordered from DexCom from tomorrow
    - should be shipped by end of June
    - has been available in the USA for a "few weeks"

Calibration
    - like the Libre, the G6 is factory calibrated
    - unlike the Libre, a calibration code is provided with each sensor
    - this is entered when the sensor is initiated
    - if you lose your code, you can calibrate with finger prick

Alerts and alarms
    - a new "urgent low soon" alert; based on current value and falling trend, predicts if you will go below 3.1 in the next 20 minutes
    - two schedules can be set so you can have different thresholds during the day and night

Receiver
    - there is a separate receiver
    - but you can use a phone app for iOS and Android via Blutooth

Duration
    - each sensor lasts 10 days
    - unlike previous DexCom sensors, there is no restart possible
    - like the Libre, the G6 is start once only

Integration
    - there is no pump integration available in the UK
    - Dexcom are talking to all major pump manufacturers about future integration

Application
    - approved for stomach for adults
    - approved for buttocks for children
    - transmitter is 28% slimmer than the G5 transmitter making it more discrete
    - there is a new redesigned applicator for the sensor which is easier to use (they commented they know the G5 applicator is very old)

DVLA
    - still not recognised by DVLA
    - DexCom talking to DVLA
    - say DVLA are keen to start accepting CGM and Flash monitors and reviewing the standards/criteria

Cost
    - the cheapest option is the subscription which is £159/month (cheaper than G5)
    - there is a starter kit including one transmitter and three sensors for £159
    - or you can buy separately
    - sensor: £51.25
    - transmitter: £200 (battery lasts 3 months)
    - reader: £299 (or you can use the free phone app)

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

So pricing is competitive with the G5 - or in other words, they want to get as many people over to G6 as possible.

Restart is possible - see this link: http://seemycgm.com/2018/06/11/restarting-g6-sensors-and-transmitter/

Open Source solutions are being worked on. Loop works with the G6 now and the xDrip+ and Spike developers are currently actively working on the code.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

4. JoeT1

JoeT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Can you use the receiver AND your phone at the same time? Say I am using xDrip, and want to also have a receiver in case I want to go out and not bring my phone...

5. Draco16

Draco16 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm on the G5 subscription at the moment but can't wait to get the G6, some very nice improvements here.

6. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

You can’t use xDrip at the moment. Waiting on that being done. But from what we understand, yes you can.

7. JoeT1

Hmm...But from what I have seen, I think the Dexcom app is better than that of the Blucon etc, with customization alarms etc. So perhaps there may be no need for the xDrip app.

I entered my details anyway on the Dexcom site, it said that a representative will be in touch. Would like to get the ball rolling as quick as I can.

8. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

The G6 app is very similar to the updated G5 app. It's nowhere near as customisable as xDrip is, and of course, if you use them, xDrip also has the ability to provide a level of prediction based on food entry and IOB. For most that will be fine, but it's a frustration for plenty of others.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MoonSpirit

MoonSpirit Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If the price is lower than the G5, its getting close to the freestyle Libre price.
    The Dexcom is a far better product.
    Will the price be low enough for the NHS to consider putting the G6 on prescription ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I expect only if people can prove the alarms are needed to keep them out of hospital.

11. MoonSpirit

MoonSpirit Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Dexcom are saying the G6 sensors can’t be restarted,
    (I know there are now reports that it can be restarted)

I’m currently using the G4 and with restarts getting an avearage of 19 days per sensor. And transmitters last a year.
    Im struggling to afford the G4s

I don’t know which way to jump. Can anyone advise.

Assuming the G6 can’t be restarted, and the transmitter lasts only 90 days
    How much extra would the G6 system be costing me?

Then
    Assuming it can be restarted and runs to the same 19 day average that I’m getting with the G4 would I then be better off cost wise even with the transmitters only lasting 90 day?

12. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hey @MoonSpirit - did you read further up the thread? Not just reports, but a usable guide.

You'd have to do the maths for yourself - we always advise people to get a spreadsheet out, but I'd question for how much longer the G4 transmitters will be sold.

13. JoeT1

I'm wondering about whether or not Dexcom will get back to me. You can only register as a new customer and then be contacted by them, right?

I registered a couple of days ago but heard nothing.

14. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've been contemplating a dexcom, but am concerned about the lack of user calibration on the G6 (as I'm one of those for whom the libre factory calibration totally fails). Can finger prick calibration be used instead of the factory calibration?

15. Draco16

Draco16 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @EllieM yes the G6 can be calibrated with finger sticks if you prefer.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dillinger

Dillinger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'm getting a G6 today.

Are there any general suggestions for best use (I've seen the restart link) - what I'm thinking about is tape to keep it on, apps to go along side the DexCom one, any general advice about best place to put it (arm, stomach etc.,)

Many thanks - it's been a while!

Dillinger

17. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

@Dillinger I've found that SkinTac applied and tacky before applying the sensor generally extends the life of all CGM sensors.

Based on various bits of testing, breathable over-plasters generally promote longer life than waterproof ones (e.g. Grifgrips instead of Tegaderm or Opsite) because they allow the whole lot to dry out more quickly when it gets wet, whereas the likes of Opsite and Tegaderm trap the moisture and make it hard to dry, reducing the effectiveness of the adhesive.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Dillinger

Dillinger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks Tim - I'm not familiar with Grifgrips - I can't find them on Amazon where do you get yours? I used to use Opsite for the Libre and might start with them as I've got some in the house. For SkinTac is that the wipes or the liquid?

Hope all's good with you.

Best

Dillinger

19. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I have both for different occasions. Wipes are easier for transporting but liquid is generally slightly better in my view.

Grif-Grips: https://www.grifgrips.com/

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

mine has just arrived I will be putting it on later today, so fingers crossed

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook