1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Latest On The Dexcom G6

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Kim Possible, Jun 12, 2018.

1. nikoearp

nikoearp Type 1 · Newbie

Has anyone had any problems yet? I've just put mine in, paired the transmitter but there was no "start sensor" option in the app. Galaxy S9+ running Android 8.0.0 is supported but no help from them as 24/7 support looks to be the US only.
    At the moment I have no sensor showing in the settings. Very confused. Manually added it back in via settings too.

Anyone else found this?

2. Dillinger

Dillinger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It takes 2 hours to ‘bed in’ - on an iPhone it has a count down and that’s it. So, hopefully it’s sorted itself out now.

3. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

mines up and running and so far really accurate

4. nikoearp

nikoearp Type 1 · Newbie

Hiya,

Nothing, it's been 3 and doesn't even recognise anything has been started. Will see what their tech support say...

5. crumpy

crumpy Family member · Well-Known Member

I've called the USA support over the weekend before via Skype and they have been really helpful if you're in a hurry to get the problem sorted before Monday.

6. nikoearp

nikoearp Type 1 · Newbie

Thanks, will do that and also going to change the sensor, see if it's a dodgy one.

7. PaulinaB

PaulinaB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi all. Can you share how you're getting on with G6 so far (for the ones who's got it working :D). I'm mostly curious if it's possible to use the new applicator on the back of the arm - that's where I wear my G5. If it really is just "put down and press the button" insertion, then I guess it should be possible?

Could you also take a look at the "send by"/"use by" or other dates on your sensors and transmitter? The G5 transmitter in particular had a fairly short date there, so you couldn't really stock-up if you were moving away, etc for a longer time. I wonder if it's the same with G6?

Thanks!

#27 PaulinaB, Jun 30, 2018 at 3:50 PM
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  8. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi yes you would be able to put it on your arm with ease I would imagine, the send by date on my transmitter is 22/01/2019 and on the sensor 04/01/2019

• Like Like x 1
  9. RMSko

RMSko Type 2 · Member

Applying the G6 is simple, a VAST improvement from the G5. As for putting the sensor on your arm, the instructions say if you are over 18 it is only to be used on your stomach, however, I think they said the same thing with the G4/G5 and so if those work for you on the arm, perhaps the G6 will as well.

10. Chris Bowsher

Chris Bowsher Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@tim2000s with regards to the Grif grips, which type of cut should i be using with the Dexcom?

there are two options on the website: 'dexcut' and 'dexstrap'

any advice much appreciated.

And with regard to SkinTac do i apply the SkinTac and then applicate straight away on top, and do i need to leave a hole for the needle to go through?

Thanks very much

chris

11. T1Dad

T1Dad Parent · Well-Known Member

Hehe...I had asked the same question to GrifGrips about dexstrap and dexcut and this is what they provided:

The Dexstrap is our newest internal cut option for Dexcom and has a strip of tape which will stretch over the top of the transmitter to keep it a little more secure. The Dexcut leaves the transmitter exposed and only covers the existing adhesive.

So I will be going for dexcut.

12. T1Dad

T1Dad Parent · Well-Known Member

Any feedback so far on the G6 in terms of accuracy and going prick free? We are starting on the 16th July once the current Libre runs out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris Bowsher

Chris Bowsher Type 1 · Well-Known Member

thanks for the info.

14. Dillinger

I'm very pleased with the G6 - I've pretty much instantly corrected my basal rates and got back on the straight and narrow with it.

My only slight quibble is that the transmitter is quite 'needy' - you can't go very far from your phone before it disconnects so if you don't like constantly having your phone with you then this will jar a bit. Other than that I have no complaints at all; I'm now saving the NHS lots of money in terms of test strips!

Today my first sensor expires and looking at the link above from @tim2000s it seems to me you can't restart the sensor without the separate receiver. I'm using the Dexcom starter kit which only came with the sensors and the transmitter so have no receiver so presumably can't restart?

Am I right in that or can you restart using your phone alone?

GrifGrips on their way (I went for the dexcut option too).

Best

Dillinger

15. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I'm using it with xDrip+, and have found a similar issue with the distance from the phone. Unfortunately, disconnecting from the G6 like that seems to cause the Bluetooth process to sometimes crash on an Android phone, which is thoroughly annoying.

In terms of calibration, I've not calibrated since the initial one and it's stayed steadfastedly close to the blood numbers (typically within 0.2 mmol/l) to such an extent that I'd not tested since Friday evening and it remained fine.

From what I understand, you can restart on the phone app, and have it restart (with no calibration required on xDrip+), as long as you do it more than 2 hours and 10 minutes before the ten days is up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dillinger

I'm giving it a go then solely using the phone app; I'll let you all know in 2 hours whether it works or not.

17. Dillinger

OK, so it won't allow you to simply restart your sensor via the app. I've just had an error message to that effect and it's telling me to activate a new sensor. Perhaps this is why they are not sending the receiver out as well as the sensors/transmitters?

18. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Did you try the instructions as per the see-my-cgm blog? It's not just a case of restarting the sensor.

The reason the don't send out with a receiver (they do in the US) is purely down to regulatory requirements.

19. Dillinger

Yes, in those instructions they are explicit that you end the sensor from the receiver not from the phone app and then put the receiver in a Faraday bag until it restarts. Without the receiver it doesn't work unless I'm missing something obvious.

20. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I don't think you've been reading the correct instructions @Dillinger:

Option 2: No-receiver restart
    For non-US residents, sometimes you can purchase the G6 system without the receiver. So while you can still restart the sensor session without it, the disadvantage (vs. using Option 1) is that you will not see BGs for two hours during the restart process.

REMEMBER TO START THIS PROCESS AT LEAST 2 hours and 10 minutes before the session is due to expire. Giving yourself at least an hour extra is even better…so at least 3 hours before would be great!

1. In phone’s bluetooth list (in iPhone Settings), “forget” the Dexcom transmitter ID. In fact, “forget” all your old Dexcom transmitters if you don’t regularly delete them. Old ones don’t need to be saved. By forgetting the Dexcom transmitter, we are preventing the transmitter and app communications during the restart process…and that’s a good thing. We don’t want them paired during the 2 hours.
    2. Go to G6 app on the phone and “stop sensor” from the Settings menu. You’ll be told “Are you sure you want to stop your sensor? It cannot be restarted, a new sensor is required.” Answer Yes.
    3. On the screen that appears after, press “New Sensor”. You’ll be promoted to choose between “No Code” or “Enter Code”. You can choose either. If you choose to “Enter Code”, go find your code from when you originally inserted the sensor (the one printed on the adhesive cover of the sensor). That code is the calibration code for the particular sensor wire that sensor is using. If you don’t have that code saved, go ahead and choose “No Code” (don’t just randomly use the code from a different sensor in your supplies). Realize, no matter which option your choose, YOU WILL BE PROMPTED FOR A CALIBRATION EVERY 12 Hours WITH A RESTARTED SENSOR (even if you have the code entered). If you don’t enter a calibration, the sensor session will keep going and you’ll get a second reminder at 20 minutes. If you don’t calibration then, you’ll get a reminder every 5 minutes…but the sensor session will keep going (just like with the G4 and G5 systems).
    4. After you finish with the Code entry decisions, you’ll need to press the “Start Sensor” button that will appear on the screen. You’ll see a “starting sensor” progress bar for a few seconds and then the 2-hour sensor warmup countdown circle will be displayed on the phone.
    5. Wait at least 2 hours, but not so long that the old sensor session will expire during your wait. If the old session expires before you finish the remaining steps…you’ll have to move onto Option 3.
    6. Your G6 app will also likely switch to display “signal loss” during this time. That’s good, too. If any pairing messages come up for the transmitter, say no.
    7. After the 2 hour wait, restart the phone (hold down the power button and slide to turn off the phone). Open G6 app. This will trigger the phone to try to re-pair with transmitter. Accept the pairing request now that you’ve waited at least 2 hours. If you don’t get a pairing request within 5 minutes of the restart, you may need to restart the phone one more time.
    8. Within 5 minutes of re-pairing, you’ll be greeted with two calibration request and a new sensor session. Enter the calibrations and you’re good to go.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook