1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Latest On The Dexcom G6

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Kim Possible, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I followed that and no restart

2. Dillinger

Dillinger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Er, oh yes! @tim2000s - thanks - next time I'll follow all the instructions...

3. Gaz-M

looks like my sensor has died with 4 days left on it, it lost connection at 3am this morning and left it till 11.30 and restarted it following the post to a tee. it came back on but with just the remaining days but only lasted 30mins or so tried too do it again and after the warm up its saying replace sensor old sensor can not be restarted. I am unsure if I should contact Dexcom with me doing several restarts

4. RMSko

RMSko Type 2 · Member

I’m having a lot of sensor disconnects and I’m only in the original 10 day period of my second sensor.

5. Gaz-M

I’m still or was on the 10 days, I’ll phone them after work today

6. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Well then. Day 13 and this sensor is still going strong. Still accurate and typically remaining within 0.3mmol/l of bloods. I've only calibrated it twice in that time too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gaz-M

what programme are you using @tim2000s I am waiting for an e-mail from Spike and have bought a used andriod phone to get Xdrip+ running. I have spoke to Dexcom support and they are sending a new sensor out, I mentioned other people having issues with signal lost and was told they are working on a fix with the app to try get this sorted and seems apple phones are suffering more than the andriod phones

8. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Yes, I've heard this, especially if you're not using a back version of iOS. I've been running on xDrip+ on Android for mine and it's been working very well. My only comment is that even with xDrip, the distance you can move the phone from the transmitter does seem lower than the G5.

9. Gaz-M

Hopefully within the next 2 weeks this will be fixed

10. Dillinger

So, @tim2000s - using the CORRECT method I’ve managed to restart the sensor; had to turn my phone on and off about 3 times before it paired but all seems good now. I’ll be interested to see how long it lasts.

Thanks again!

11. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Great news @Dillinger . Mine died after 15 days, basically because the adhesive was non-existent by that point and even with the GrifGrip over the top, it couldn't keep it in place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DunePlodder

DunePlodder Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Some thoughts based on my vast experience of one G6 sensor.
    I used xDrip+ as I usually do with G4. I had intended to try the Dexcom App but my phone was not compatible.
    I started in "Native mode", this uses the values from the G6 itself rather than xDrip's own algorithm.
    Day 1 was much better than with the G4 - often very erratic for at least the first 12 hours.
    Days 2 to 9 were very good, if generally around 0.5 mmol/L below my blood meter readings.
    I used the "Preemptive Restart" in xDrip+ which went smoothly on day 9 - no calibration readings needed.
    Day 10 though was less good. In retrospect perhaps the sensor was "assuming" it was day 1 & making adjustments accordingly?
    Day 12 I then moved to non native mode calibrating with xDrip+ & using it's algorithm. I found there would be occasional noisy periods, then it would settle down and be fine.
    Day 16 It was OK overnight, but very noisy/erratic this morning.
    So I'm replacing it with one of my remaining G4s.
    My experience with G4s is that the second week is usually better than the first, so this is a little disappointing - I need to make them last money wise. G4 life is usually around 3 weeks.
    It's worth remembering that we are in the middle of an extended heat wave & there were a couple of occasions when a large drink of water revived the readings.
    With regard to the adhesive, it seemed very similar to the G4. I always use Skintac to begin with then Opsite FlexiFix from about day 7. I do seem to be lucky that the adhesives don't give me any problems.
    I must say that the first 9 days felt very steady & I had high confidence in the values. I have to do blood tests for driving, but apart from that & the fact that I doing checks for testing reasons, I would have happily skipped most blood tests.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dillinger

I just got 18 1/2 days out of one sensor which is pretty amazing. 2 lots of GifGrips and some cutting away of the previous stickies. The only downside is that this one left an infected puncture wound which isn't ideal; but I guess that's an additional thing to think about.

I'm finding I need to relax my responses to even slight highs as I'm just not used to slow pace of change for even fast acting insulin like Humalog. That still takes 45 minutes to do anything. I'm also surprised at how slowly glucose stops a hypo. Ordinarily if I was hypo I'd correct and forget about it and then have a look 15 minutes later; but with a CGM I'm kind of looking at it the whole time and thinking; "where's the response?" which means I've over corrected on both accounts (insulin and glucose).

But knowledge is power, etc., etc., and hopefully I'm now getting use to it.

Dillinger

14. DunePlodder

DunePlodder Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Don't forget that there is a delay with a CGM - around 15 to 20 minutes. If I'm not active, it can take as much as 75 minutes before I see the effects of Humalog. And they call it Rapid Acting insulin!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. JD1313

JD1313 · Newbie

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook